Frank Worthington RIP

I've  heard that Frank Worthington has just passed away.

What a footballer. He was certainly gifted with golden boots. 

He played for 20 team through his career and for England on a number of occasions.

He played all the way down the leagues not because he was rubbish but he just couldn't hang up his boots (rather like Stan Mathews)

Roger

Not sure why, but Rogers link starts half-way through the move..... it is the few seconds earlier which shows why this goal was a bit special (and don’t forget the reaction of the referee)

Imagine the media superlatives had Messi or Neymar served that one up :)  - RIP Mr Worthington

....... Andy 

You can scroll the footage back to the beginning to see the wonder that that goal was.

Paul Gascoigne did something similar for England a number of years later and had great praise. 

Preston were so lucky to have Frank play for them even though he was getting on a bit by then

It is said that a good number of people went to see PNE - not for the footy but to see Frank during the pre-match warm up - he had gifted feet.

Roger 

Talented footballer and quite a character by all accounts..... Liverpool went to sign him in his prime (from Huddersfield if I recall) but ‘official’ story was he failed his medical on a heart condition which was not an euphemism for turning up with a hangover.... plenty did that, Terry Mac, Souie et al, and went on to serve us well...

Think it was actually Stan Bowles but could well have been Frankie who came out with the immortal response when getting a (relatively rare) start for England..... "If you don’t track back, I’ll pull you off at half time"!......... Response: "wow.. all I get at club level is a cup of bovril"!.......... Last time picked for the national team..

RIP 

11 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Think it was actually Stan Bowles but could well have been Frankie who came out with the immortal response when getting a (relatively rare) start for England..... "If you don’t track back, I’ll pull you off at half time"!......... Response: "wow.. all I get at club level is a cup of bovril"!.......... Last time picked for the national team..

:)  That was Sir Alf speaking to Rodney Marsh - it was indeed his last cap

....... Andy

Ah.. sure you’re right about Rodney Marsh Andy... those three were ‘chip off the same block..... But, I reckon it was Joe Mercer!?....

(Rodney Marsh was later than Sir Alf and even he would surely not dared to have answered back to Alf in his regimental pomp?) - one of the 66 winning team told a great story of how they nearly lost the World Cup by giggling like school boys but no one brave enough to tell Alf it was due to his team talk every time he mentioned the threat of an Eastern European player, ‘Uvaart’ over and under lapping up the wing... "and if Uvaart"...... que entire team collapsing into a giggling heap

Rodney used to mention it at his after-diner speeches and referenced in a newspaper interview here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/21/seven-deadly-sins-football-alf-ramsey-rodney-marsh

Of course, his memory may be worse than mine :)  either way, a nice quote 

....... Andy 

Thanks Andy, you’re right! ;)

... Just to thread drift a bit further with my muddling.... it was Joe Mercer who did ‘actually pull Stan Bowles off’ at halftime in his last ever game for England........

..... Bringing ....... Frank Worthington on to replace him.....:wacko:

• 1 month later...