Removal and replacement of Stromberg metering needle adjusting screw star washer

The dashpots on the Stag carbs (Stromberg CD175) are not holding oil. I need to replace the little o-ring on each of the needle adjusting screws.

Looking on the web it seems reasonably straight forward, except the removal and replacement of the star washer that holds the screw in place. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without scoring the bore of the tube in which the assembly sits? Is there a special tool and/or technique to use in both removal and replacement?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The job is done, although I haven't been able to take the car for a run since to check all works as our drive is currently dug up and being replaced! It'll be another week.

A buckeye triumph pdf - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d0191191376fd00017521ed/1560383774528/TR250_TR6+Carbs+Part+II.pdf  - and some other stuff found via web searches were all very useful, but probably the best piece of advice was on a MG forum that provided a great tip for removing the star washer -  https://www.mgexp.com/article/alternative-zenith-carb-damper-o-ring.233
Essentially it is to knock the adjusting screw assembly and washer up the tube just enough to then be able to get a small hooked piece of wire around the washer and flip it. I did this on both carbs and the washer just fell out. Replacement is similar - drop the washer in, shake the air valve a little to get the washer more or less in the correct orientation, and then tap home. I couldn't find a suitable wooden dowel for the job - but an unsharpened pencil (i.e. still squared off at both ends) did the job.
I purchased new needle adjusting screws and incorporated o-ring from Southern Carburetters in Crawley, rather than trying to fit a new o-ring on the old screw. The advice from Roy at SC in Crawley was that the screws are often "mullered" in getting them out - although mine was fine using the above technique to remove it.

Hopefully this might help anyone else with a similar issue....