I have a reconditioned original water pump on my car. Reconditioned by EP Services. There is a small leak when the engine gets up to temperature which appears to be coming from the lower mounting stud just below the tell-tale slot in the pump. The slot seems to be dry. Today I removed the pump and fitted a new gasket between pump and housing. Refitted everything and still have the same leak.

I have read that some of these studs should not be fitted ‘dry’, and am not sure what is meant by that! Could somebody please enlighten me.

Tomorrow I plan to remove it all again including the housing and hope!
Unless some kind person can suggest another course of action.

Many thanks 

Tim

Well, that sounds a simple first thing to try. Are they not all open to the water jacket then?

Thanks 

Tim

1 hour ago, ntc said:

You should always smear the bolt with sealant 

Something like RTV Silicon gasket?

Tim

I've been thinking  more! The stud that we are talking about has not been removed for over 40 years, and with that in mind I have 3 questions:

1) In order to seal it I will need to remove it and is there a risk of shearing it?                                                                                                                                                                       2)  If it resists removal does that not mean that it is 'rusted' in and therefore made a seal?                                                                                                                                               3)  Would using a copper washer as John suggested be a safer option to try first, and if so would a fibre washer possibly do the same job with a nyloc nut?

Many thanks,

Tim

1)  Not necessarily,   & Yes

2) Could well be

3) Worth trying, fibre - yes, but put a plain washer between it & the nut or it might just tear up as you tighten the nut fully

Also worth smearing sealant onto the stud thread before adding washers, & coat washer with it too. 

Bob.

Tim

I missunderstood your original question, The bolt I put just a copper washer, is the one that holds the water manifold to the head, the bolt on the lower left looking at the front of the engine.

I think all the water pump studs are blind into the housing behind.

John

3 hours ago, John L said:

Tim

I missunderstood your original question, The bolt I put just a copper washer, is the one that holds the water manifold to the head, the bolt on the lower left looking at the front of the engine.

I think all the water pump studs are blind into the housing behind.

John

You are correct John. Took it all off today and sealed the offending lower central stud with Hylomar Blue which as you say is blind. Will now fit the pump onto the studs using Hylomar with copper washers and nylocs also fitted new gaskets. Can’t do more than that!
Thanks to all for advice.

Tim