Bonnet Profile assistance please.

Well mine is 825mm or 32.5 ins, if that is any help!

Tim

If you’ve got the wings offer them up to the bonnet and that is the line you are looking for. You can adjust it an 1/8” or so either way but the most important thing is that it matches the profile of your wings when fitted.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Thanks for the measurements. That confirms my thoughts.

The project car bonnet had been damaged slightly, hence looking for the theoretically correct profile.
I am about to weld 1.9mm metal strips to the sides and the rear of the bonnet/hood for reinforcement, plus an extra triangular shape piece as in pic, and maybe an extra rib from front to back on the carb/bulge side.

bonnet reinforcement (2)_LI.jpg

Hi,

I would consider using one of the epoxy bonding adhesives used by modern car body manufactures to attach wings etc. to fi any re-enforcing pieces. I believe 3M do a suitable product. Welding in this area as stated would probably cause distortion.

Rich

I weld the triangular plates in with a spot welder, The side strips your on about then arent needed. Another front to back stringer would need careful positioning to avoid hitting anything and to my mind wouldnt add any strength.

Stuart.

Progress so far....I did consider the epoxy adhesives and the heat implications.

Decided on the convenient MIG welding.

Still have to trim the edges, clean plug welds and do a couple of short linear welds on the inside.

And yes, I checked the fender/wing/guard alignments with the bonnet a number of times during the process.

IMG_1242 (2).JPG

IMG_1243 (2).JPG

Edited by Malbaby