What would you want to trigger the alarm - opening the garage door, opening the car door ?

A simple battery powered siren or bell triggered by two microswitches would work, I made one years ago for my Model flying club shed.

Assuming the would be thief will be trying to open the door without a key, then he will be pulling on it for a while without fully opening it.

The circuit is wired so the 1st switch closes as soon as the door is disturbed, & after a delay latches a relay on which sounds the alarm. The second switch cancels the alarm as soon as the door is opened fully, & the time delay on the 1st circuit ensures that when you unlock & open the door the alarm never goes off.

Bob.

How far away is the garage from the house ?. If it is within wifi range the battery Arlo cameras are pretty good and the battery goes for 2-3 months before it needs to be charged. They support geofencing and scheduling so you can do things like arm them when you are away from home as well as between dusk and dawn. I prefer the camera to the alarm because I can make the decision about what is going on when I get the alert and call the local police if I need to get someone to the house quickly.

Stan

2 hours ago, Stephen Chester said:

I am considering additional security with an alarm.

You may also wish to consider further security by installing a tracker. A garage alarm is a great first line of defence, but should the little beggers actually manage to get the car out before you or the police arrive, it's going to be a tad tricky getting it back. At that point, a tracker could well be a worthy arrow in your quiver.

There are several threads discussing various types here on the forum.

Cheers, Deggers

You are being a tad generous calling them “little beggars”. They are criminals. End of. I’m all for shariah law.  Leave them with a reminder of their crimes every time that have to do things one handed. 

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

You are being a tad generous calling them “little beggars”.

It was all I had left Ian, after the auto censor wrote a strongly worded letter home to mother : "******* ******* ******* little beggars"  :)

A friend has rigged up a poachers trap to the door of his workshop that fires a blank shotgun cartridge, it has only gone off once in the last 20 years and that was just after he set it up, obviously the little twats talk (grunt) to one another.

George 

16 hours ago, Stephen Chester said:

Hi Stan,

The garage is too far from the house for that system to work.

Steve

Depending upon how far it is, you might be able to use a Smart Home system which has door contacts and PIR’s.  They can use Google, Alexa or Apple HomePod technology to communicate via Bluetooth or WiFi to your phone, often via a hub.  The hub needs power and might typically be in your house.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson