Over Drive Logic revisited

Use of overdrive in competition: the Works' TR4 Rally cars (3/4/5/6VC) were equipped with and used overdrive with engines producing about 135-140 BHP.  The Works' big Healeys also used overdrive - I don't know on which gears.  Their 3 litre engines were producing about 210 BHP in 1963.

In his very potent and successful "Beastie"(BST82B), Tony Sheach uses a 28% overdrive on all 4 gears with a 4.875 rear axle.  I calculate that this gives him about 20 mph/1000 rpm in overdrive top. His engine produces 170-200 BHP, depending on how he sets it up.

Ian Cornish.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

"apart from the initial pulse there are no looses to dim the bulb"

How so ? the relay coil must have some resistance.    you cheated !

Bob.

The DC resistance on a length of 18SWG copper wire is less than half of bu99er all.  I didn't cheat, I simply massaged the truth a touch.

You must admit it is a neat circuit.

It works very well.

Roger

Hi Ian,

you were very close.

However a normal smallish relay has quite a high resistance so would have a significant effect on the glow.

Also the bulb is drawing apprx 2amp - the relay coil would not like that - something has to give and it would be the intensity.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
23 minutes ago, tthomson said:

Hi Roger,

In your diagram, unless you have a positive earth car, the LED is the wrong way around.

TT

Hi Tony,

it will work on positive earth with a few changes. The LED (or in this case the DEL)  was put in hastily in the drawing.. But it really does work n practice.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I wasn't being negative, I think it is an elegant solution.

I thought perhaps you were making use of an N-Channel Enhancement mode MOSFET to sense a voltage change at the lamp, but that would have required a fairly complicated means of determining the current through the wire - causing serious brain ache. Instead the reed relay is sensing the current change to do exactly what is needed. Clever!

I love the simplicity.

TT

8 minutes ago, tthomson said:

It is possibe to get changeover reed relays so you could use a twin colour LED to show both operating and failed lamps, but that gets more complicated again.

TT ;)

Ha Ha - I would have a dash like a Christmas tree - very bling.

Roger