Sparks - big ones!

Hi all

Me again sadly :( I torqued up the head properly, and was about to start her up to see if the nasty leak was cured. But, she wouldn't start. Just wasn't turning over fast enough on the starter motor, so off comes the battery and I put a different (and working) one on off my everyday car. This time I tried to start her and she made a funny noise (erm...."pffft" is the best I can describe it as!) and then all the electrics died. I waggled a few leads and checked the battery connections, tried to start her again and she gave a MASSIVE spark from off the positive battery terminal. Needless to say at this point I disconnected it and retreated indoors, I don't DO electrics!

Any ideas what might be wrong this time?! Aargh!

Ally

Sounds a bit obvious, but did you connect the battery the right way round? ie the red lead to the positive terminal, sometimes the + and - terminals are the other way round on other batteries even if it seems otherwise the same physically as the one you took out.

Ray

Ally

It sounds like it could be that the battery or earth connections are not making good contact. I would check as above then clean up all the battery / battery lead contacts and make sure your earths are all clean and electrically sound. Grease these up once they are clean with petroleum jelly to keep them clean.

Andy

Hi again, o wise TR7 people!

It was the starter motor - I got a short lesson in physics off my mate Ash the electrician, then went and found the loose connection. So, no more sparks, thank goodness. I never did like physics...!

But, the little devil still ain't starting, she is just not turning over fast enough. Tight engine/too much compression I would say. So, hi-torq starter motor or something more...elementary?

Cheers,

Ally

PS Jonlar - with this TR7, I started despairing months ago!! :rolleyes:

mine has chewed 3 starters in 2 years. 4th fitted yesterday. Ordering a high torque one for the next time, don't want to be stuck. Remember my previous one chewed starter motors too. Is it a common failing?

Jo

It seems it's not the starter motor on mine after all - a mate suggested I turn her over without the spark plugs in to see if it's over-high compression or the starter motor that's causing the trouble. It seems that it must be the compression, as she spun fine with no plugs.

So, what do I do about high compression? Erk!

Cheers,

Ally

Perhaps you have to clean the battery connections again thoroughly (with sanding paper) and then check the spark plugs : you should see a fat spark. If the spark is only weak, then I suppose the starter motor is drawing too much power, and the voltage at the coil will be too low. Once I had to replace the starter motor on my TR7 : it was spinning the engine not that slow, but the the windings in the starter motor had partially burnt isolation : sort of short circuits : a lot of the battery power was lost by these short circuits.