2 hours ago, RobH said:

Judging by the evidence of my own eyes, they don't seem particularly interested in whether a bike actually has any lights at all, let alone legal ones...............:ph34r:

Agree, and they're all on the bloody pavements now anyway !! :angry:

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Judging by the evidence of my own eyes, they don't seem particularly interested in whether a bike actually has any lights at all, let alone legal ones...............:ph34r:

About time they were made to have licence and insurance given the Highway Code is something to carry if they get caught short. Cyclist don't you just love em!

Andy

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Cyclist don't you just love em!

Andy

No not when theyre all over the road like they own it!

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

No not when theyre all over the road like they own it!

Stuart.

Like Jam then!

If the trend to complain about any other road user is to continue, let's not forget horse riders that believe they are top of the pile, even though their animals leave big piles of s**t in the road and have no obligation to clean up after them!

As a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist,  I find it easy to be critical at times of all other road users as they get close to MY space on the road.  I'm sure we all feel like that don't we?

As for horses, I know that they can be difficult to control if startled - nothing wrong with horse especially after 15-20 minutes per pound in a hot oven.

Apologies for getting really off-topic.

Edited by Alfrom
Apology added
3 hours ago, Alfrom said:

If the trend to complain about any other road user is to continue, let's not forget horse riders that believe they are top of the pile, even though their animals leave big piles of s**t in the road and have no obligation to clean up after them!

May I remind you Alfrom that horses were on the road before cars ... and cyclists. It is we who are impinging on their space!

As for cyclists with flashing tail lights, I am thoroughly annoyed with whichever government it was made them legal, because now it's nigh on impossible to buy a BS6102/3 approved rear light. (A reflector would be BS6102/2) Why would a manufacturer spend the money developing the correct beam pattern, and then MORE money to get it approved when they can just make it flashing, spend a bit on marketing like naming it DAZZLER or something like that, and be quids in.

Then there are cyclists who have stupidly bright front lights, dazzling all comers. AND THEN there are cyclists who have stupidly bright FLASHING front lights.

I now have to buy lights approved to German, French or Dutch standards to be legal on the road, or pick up new-old-stock British Standard stuff when I see it.

BUT IF THERE'S ONE THING THAT'S P155!NG ME OFF, it's people like some of you putting me, with my approved front and rear lights, in the same category as these idiots. No, not all cyclists are the same. Actually, most of us a well behaved nice law-abiding people. In fact, some of us are even TR-drivers. Or in my case, TR-powered Spitfire drivers. Some are even horse riders too.

So would you kindly cut out the "all cyclists are lowest-of-the-low you-know-what".

Happy new year, Richard

2 hours ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Happy new year, Richard

Well said, and a happy new year to you too.

John

Cyclists: Obviously present company excepted of course, unless you're barreling along the pavement on a mountain bike expecting me to step into the road to get out of your way (just saying) :huh::D

Richard

I'm with you most of the way.  personally, when I'm out on the bikes, I want bright lights that draw attention to the fact that i'm there.  the bright front lights are essential when off-road, although  some are badly positioned  and are dazzling, I agree, but no worse than many modern cars that are reputedly tested to ensure they do not dazzle.

I sometimes cycle on Stevenage's cycle tracks where the biggest hazards  are pedestrians who refuse to walk in the areas designated for pedestrians.  I have fallen off my bike twice in the past 30 years, once  was entirely my fault , too fast on a country lane with gravel down the middle  and once taking avoiding action because of pedestrians in the wrong area - totally bu**ered the front wheel , despite braking so hard the cable was pulled through  the clamp.  Managed to avoid the baby buggy though.  The dog was very unhappy with the sudden pull on its lead after a pedal snagged its lead.

Let's face it accidents will always happen, but most are induced by inappropriate behaviour of some sort.

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, ntc said:

Not so Bob It applies to all lights front and rear 

Not according to the January 11th issue of the Testing Manual currently on the DVSA web page

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-4-1

The only mention is :

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."      

Do you know of a later update which widens this to all lights but which has not yet been published ?

14 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Nope, cant find any thing there later than the January update on headlamps

It’s there Bob indeed they are now illegal the article is    
in classic car weekly 

Edited by ntc

Hi Neil,

Classic Car Weekly is not a legal document ad they may well be interpreting it wrong like we are.

Our original bulbs TR2  TR5 and possibly 6  were argon filled not Halogen orXenon. 

Also our bulbs/lamps were not not E marked or CE marked so are outside of this latest ambiguous garbage.

How can any organisation allow those dangerous blinding HiD lamps  yet get grumpy about LED's that work virtually the same as filament bulbs

One is dangerour the other for safety.

Roger

You stated that all led lamps are an MOT failure, I would just like to see where that is stated in print on an official government document. 

The latest MOT update on car lighting is from January, & that only refers to headlights. 

Bob

3 minutes ago, Lebro said:

You stated that all led lamps are an MOT failure, I would just like to see where that is stated in print on an official government document. 

The latest MOT update on car lighting is from January, & that only refers to headlights. 

Bob

x2

From Class 4 test manual. Section 4.2 front & rear position lamps, 4.2.3 compliance with requirements,

defect category (a) (i) emitted a colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements.

Minor defect.

Harvey

I think I read the same article - can't put my hand on it but the implicaion was that LED lights were now a fail.  I believe our esteemed chairman's 7 just failed on this very thing and had to swap back to halogens. (Not the only failure item I gather)