TR6, replace and install reconditioned metering unit and replace old Lucas fit new Bosch fuel pump

Hi Guys,

Though I have owned a TR for 40 years I have never repair one before, so please be gentle with me.

Just wondered if there are any previous articles on replacing metering unit and fitting new Bosch fuel pump etc?

Any suggestions or help and advice to make it as easy as possible would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

If you have had 40 years out of your system I would be tempted to keep it standard & if you're not confident about doing the work yourself, get the pump & MU refurbished by someone like Neil Ferguson. Fundamentally the Lucas system works if maintained & your voltage supplies as well as earths are ok. Many people run Bosch and are perfectly happy with the system but its not a straight forward swap from Lucas. I have also noticed a few problems on the forum with Bosch pumps too as these are also ageing.

I would also have a look inside the fuel tank for debris/rust & check fuel lines, filters & injectors, if any doubts have these replaced. 

My car has done 80 odd thousand miles still on Lucas pump so I figured its paid for itself and deserved a second chance. Thats my take on it anyway. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Gary

i too recommended getting the system reconditioned by an expert, and also recommend Neil F

on my last car i ‘invested’ in a bosch pump setup from one of the usual suppliers, it did work but introduced nasty noises and wasnt any better.

current car is running a 1990’s Bosch pump and running great

steve

Reconditioning the MU and the Lucas pump (depending on whether or not you decide to switch to Bosch) is certainly a job for an expert. Fitting the MU and pump is a viable DIY job. A few more points to consider as follows:

- The pressure relief valve should be overhauled by the same expert that services the MU.

- I would advise replacing all the flexible hoses from tank to injectors if they are old. Specify replacements suitable for unleaded fuel to E10 spec, as that is what we're likely to have in the UK before long.

- Fit a relay with fused, heavy duty power supply from the battery to the pump, and a good earth cable to the chassis. Whether you us a Lucas or Bosch pump, a decent power supply and earth minimising voltage drop is essential. Without this, I've seen less than 10 volts at the pump and it needs 12.

- Consider getting the injectors overhauled if they are old.

Nigel

If I sent the MU off to be rebuilt, I'd also send along the injectors  so that they could be rebuilt and recalibrated as a set. T do this you might have to provide details of your engine, in particular your idling vacuum-  it's critical to calibrating the MU.

But what's wrong with your existing system? If it's still working satisfactorily after 40 years I'd leave well alone.

20 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Reconditioning the MU and the Lucas pump (depending on whether or not you decide to switch to Bosch) is certainly a job for an expert. Fitting the MU and pump is a viable DIY job. A few more points to consider as follows:

- The pressure relief valve should be overhauled by the same expert that services the MU.

- I would advise replacing all the flexible hoses from tank to injectors if they are old. Specify replacements suitable for unleaded fuel to E10 spec, as that is what we're likely to have in the UK before long.

- Fit a relay with fused, heavy duty power supply from the battery to the pump, and a good earth cable to the chassis. Whether you us a Lucas or Bosch pump, a decent power supply and earth minimising voltage drop is essential. Without this, I've seen less than 10 volts at the pump and it needs 12.

- Consider getting the injectors overhauled if they are old.

Nigel

+1 and keep away from those 1000psi s/s PTFE smooth bore  hoses that Malcom of Prestige used to sell as they introduce the dreaded harmonic hammering! Only use soft wall Rubber type hoses rated at 225psi and E10 proof. Gates is a good make to use.

Bruce