Re-core or replace radiator?

My radiator needs a complete re-core at a cost of £300. I'm weighing up whether to have it done for originality, or to fit a modern alternative. I must say originality is not a high priority, I'm fitting an alternator, rack n pinion and a few other mods. I need reliability for touring. Has anyone got any info on suitable replacements and fitting requirements? Many thanks. 

Re-core anytime. I had mine re-cored for about 300 CAD. Lost the crank hole but was able to retain as much of the original parts as possible. Had 4 smaller studs welded on at the same time so I could fit an electric if needed. The alternative is aluminum, the cheapest material out there....stick with the original one. Never needed the electric fan even in our hot prairie summers. 

Yves 

You could eliminate the neck (always a weak point), get the filler moved to the top (as in the later cars) and fit a remote header tank, which would guarantee that the whole of the cooling system is filled with coolant at all times.

See my article in Section B18 of the Technicalities CD.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

You could eliminate the neck (always a weak point), get the filler moved to the top (as in the later cars) and fit a remote header tank, which would guarantee that the whole of the cooling system is filled with coolant at all times.

See my article in Section B18 of the Technicalities CD.

Ian Cornish

Not on a sidsecreen car as the rad is under the front panel.

Stuart.

+6 for re core. I had my original re cored six months ago with an upgraded matrix and the elimination of the starting handle hole. Never suffered an overheating issue with the previous core or the new one. Reason for the re core was as a result of metal fatigue in the soldered joint at the filler neck. As previously mentioned in earlier posts a known weak area.

Your quote of £300 does seem a little on the high side, so it's worth looking around. From memory I think mine cost £230 from Bagshot Radiators - a company I've used before to re core the rad on my E-Type. Contrary to their name they're now based in Odiham, so a little out of your area.

Best of luck in finding a solution.

Cheers,

JeffR

Edited by JeffR
beaten to the punch

Stuart - after more than 50 years since I moved from TR2 to TR4, I couldn't recall how much of a gap exists above the top of the radiator and the front panel on a sidescreen TR, but having looked at the photos in Bill's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" book, I see what you mean - there is no gap, which is why the radiator has the rearward extension.

Silly me - forget I suggested the idea!

Ian Cornish

Thanks all..... I'm getting it recored! You can't argue with all that imput. 

Today I had my tyres fitted to the restored wire wheels, my new seats arrived and my cylinder head, which I initially was told was cracked, came back having had new guides and valve seats fitted. 

So we're on the up! Just need Moss to get their fingers out with my many back orders. 

Cheers chaps! 

I'm also looking at getting my radiator re-cored (as opposed to installing an electric fan), however struggling to locate a local company.   Are there any recommendations for companies located in Sussex?

Thanks!

Guildford radiators are very reliable and have done mine. Give up on the starter hole and ask for an updated core with extra fins. I also had a i " plate attached to the housing on the front to allow for attachment of the Kenlow. The filler neck needs additional strengthening to allow for people leaning on it when inspecting the engine.

Guildford Radiators also organise a collect and deliver service. Mine has never caused any more problems and the overheating has gone away.

01483 277713

Good luck Richard & B

Edited by Richardtr3a
On 3/18/2021 at 8:02 PM, Colin916 said:

Thanks all..... I'm getting it recored! You can't argue with all that imput. 

Today I had my tyres fitted to the restored wire wheels, my new seats arrived and my cylinder head, which I initially was told was cracked, came back having had new guides and valve seats fitted. 

So we're on the up! Just need Moss to get their fingers out with my many back orders. 

Cheers chaps! 

Hi Colin, all sounds good. Don't forget to post some pics for the guys to see as and when.

Paul

On 3/17/2021 at 6:37 PM, Lebro said:

+1 for recore using modern core & omit the starting handle hole. Make sure the neck is solidly attached to the top tank, a known weak spot.

Bob

I just had this done on the rad in the car (it was leaking on a seam) and the extra rad that came with the car when I bought it, as well as having the fan mounted properly.  It was less expensive than 1 new rad with the fan brackets.

Rads.jpg.089ff5f08483e60496a8c933cf1f1c09.jpg

2 hours ago, David Owen said:

I just had this done on the rad in the car (it was leaking on a seam) and the extra rad that came with the car when I bought it, as well as having the fan mounted properly.  It was less expensive than 1 new rad with the fan brackets.

Rads.jpg.089ff5f08483e60496a8c933cf1f1c09.jpg

PM sent David

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Anybody recommend a company in Bucks ?

On 3/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, Harbottle said:

Hi Colin, all sounds good. Don't forget to post some pics for the guys to see as and when.

Will do.. 

Edited by Colin916