TR5 Steel wheels.

Question, I am refitting original 4.5 x 15" steel wheels to my TR5 with Rostlye trims. The valves holes in the wheels are bigger 15mm instead of standard 13mm as on most wheels. This of course is not a problem as Land Rovers still have the larger hole and valves are readily available. The question is where TR5 wheels original fitted with innertubes?. I know the earlier cars had tubes fitted because the wheel rim was riveted to the centre of the wheel and air leaked especially when old. There was also a question as to if  the rim on a TR5 was suitable for tubeless tyres due to the roll on the rim where the tyre beeding sat.

Hi Mike,

If you check the circumference of the inner well on each wheel, they should be stamped at regular intervals 4.1/2 J x 15 H.

The Standards Manual of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation states the "H" means that the outer edge of the wheel – the bead seat – has a hump formed in it, the 'hump' is actually a bump put on the bead seat (for the bead) to prevent the tyre from sliding off the rim while the vehicle is moving.

Having the single ‘H’ designation indicates that the inner bead seat is "Normal" which means it is flat.

Also worth bearing in mind is that the TR5 was advertised and sold as having tubeless tyres when fitted with steel wheels.

The earlier riveted steel wheels are all stamped 4 J x 15 and thus with neither a prefix or suffix, both of the bead seats were both flat – i.e. ‘No Hump’ – therefore these wheels will always require tubes.

If you require any documents regarding the above drop me a P.M. with an e-mail and I can send a PDF.

Regards, Richard

Many thanks Richard. I am due to pick up my wheels from being stove enameled on Saturday so I shall look at the marking. My wheels are off my friends TR250 which he imported from the USA recently. The wheels were fitted with 205 tyres ' a bit big I think !!! ' 3 fitted without tubes 1 with, but suspect this had had a puncture. Having spoken to a few people with TR5/250's with steel wheels fitted, some have tubes fitted others don't. I have a very good tyre fitter who will also confirm what is correct. Again thankyou for your reply. Mike

Also depends on which tyre you choose. For my TR6 on original steel wheels I bought Michelin XAS’s which have to be used with inner tubes. Apologies if you already knew this.

Edited by Kevo_6

I am currently looking for new tyres for my original steel wheels that require inner tubes.

Apart from Kev's comment does any one have any experiences/recommendations of dimensions and brands for such wheels?

From prior threads, I'm thinking of 165/80 profile.

Thanks Jon.

53 minutes ago, Jon m f said:

I am currently looking for new tyres for my original steel wheels that require inner tubes.

Apart from Kev's comment does any one have any experiences/recommendations of dimensions and brands for such wheels?

Thanks Jon.

Jon - see my post in the TR4/4A forum under tyres about Blockley tyres and tubes -https://www.blockleytyre.com/

Cheers Rich

Thanks Jon.

Thanks Rich - will do

Looking for a bit of guidance here, if possible please.

Attached are a couple of photos of my steel wheels, currently fitted with tubeless tyres and with an H mark in the centre of the wheel.

I just want to be sure that these wheels are suitable for tubless tyres.

Thanks Jon

IMG_4987.JPG

A bead of silicone in the Rostyle trim's outer groove will silence rattles. 

It's good to check for runout before fitting; these are flimsy wheels and highly susceptible to wobbling, a plague at speed.

Tom

IMG_1223.JPG

Edited by Tom Fremont

I understand a number of Morgan owners use that tyre on there cars. Sensibly priced at £75 each fitted and balanced, look right on the car, correct size as original and highly recommended to me by tyre fitting company I've  used for 30 years. Also had a set on my TR4.

Likewise Thanks for the heads up Mike, 

MyTyres.co.uk  is offering a very keen price for the Continental CT 22 in 165/80 R15 87T

. . .  List price* £84.00  only £ 67.69 Including  VAT and courier delivery.  < here >

Pete