A cheap car lift is the way! £1,500 for a low-end one. Seems a big investment but, trust me, they are brilliant for servicing jobs. For jobs under the car I use one to get the car up then put ramps/stands in usual places, then put the lift down. You can also leave the car just off the ground which stops tyre flats developing. 

This is just an example I found for this post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333679286507?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=333679286507&targetid=1140323548270&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006518&poi=&campaignid=12126078237&mkgroupid=122515168771&rlsatarget=pla-1140323548270&abcId=9300480&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwIzM4ra37wIVT9TtCh2vHQ6tEAYYASABEgKcbfD_BwE

Mike

I bought a pair of hydraulic lifts from CJ Autos. I would have bought a tilting lift for about the same amount of money but there wasn’t room for me to slide it under the car from the side in my single garage. 

The ramps are excellent and make it easy for me get under whichever end of the car I’m lifting. 

Rgds Ian

I've never looked back since purchasinga tilting lift from CJ Autos. A great tool that will fold up and fit in the boot of a mini if necessary and at a cost new of around £400.

The photo below shows the lift only partially raised - it will raise around another foot further on the horizontal and tilt North/South so that you can sit in a comfortable chair while working on the underside of the front or rear of the vehicle with all wheels off.

Only drawback is you do need sufficient width to roll the lift under the car from the side before raising it.

JeffR

TR3 in garage.png

Working on one end of the car at a time (as I do), one can use a trolley jack or electrically-operated screw jack to get that end up and onto ramps or stands, then tackle the other end of the car.

With the ramps, I reverse one so that the car can move neither forwards nor backwards.

Many electrically-operated screw jacks on ebay - most can be powered from cigar-lighter socket or direct from car battery, but I believe some offer mains operation as well.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, JeffR said:

I've never looked back since purchasinga tilting lift from CJ Autos. A great tool that will fold up and fit in the boot of a mini if necessary and at a cost new of around £400.

The photo below shows the lift only partially raised - it will raise around another foot further on the horizontal and tilt North/South so that you can sit in a comfortable chair while working on the underside of the front or rear of the vehicle with all wheels off.

Only drawback is you do need sufficient width to roll the lift under the car from the side before raising it.

JeffR

TR3 in garage.png

\i have one of these that i have narrowed just a little to better fit my TR 3a

if a  club member in  stoke / cheshire area needs to borrow or try it out PM me 

(you need quite a powerful drill to wind it up)

its only leaning against the garage wall at the moment.