FAULTY FLOOR DIP SWITCH

Hi All

I know this has been covered before but can't find a simple answer, the floor dip switch is play up in that when operated it it initially turns the lights off, could be a bit unnerving, on second push it goes to high beam and the same happens when going back to dip,  I believe you can fit an "on-on switch elsewhere without relays etc, any recommends on where to purchase  a suitable switch with simple wiring might be found, I thought of fitting one where the panel dimmer is as I have by-passed this as it too wouldn't work properly?

Cheers Phil..

Why not replace the dip switch if it is knackered? 

The mechanism does wear out and the device then becomes unreliable and an embarrassment when it fails to switch the beam, or leaves one in the dark.

I had to replace mine in 1996, and I recollect fitting a replacement to TS2 a few years ago.  They are available with either screw or Lucar (push on) connectors.

Available from Moss - when the website is not undergoing maintenance!

Ian Cornish

Phil,

recently sorted this for  a group member who couldn't get away with the floor mounted dip switch.

He used a stalk on the steering column(4A) and, I know what you wrote about relays, but he used a stalk and a latching relay.

Works well, and any momentary switch would do, with the relay I think, hold down toggle, bell push type etc..

John.

Phil, shortly after acquiring our 4A I binned the horrible foot dipper and replaced it with a robust two position on-on toggle switch below the dash as shown. I fitted a rubber extension to the switch which allows it to be operated whilst still keeping the heel of my right hand on the steering wheel. The good news was that the original wiring to the foot dipper reached the replacement switch without modification. This switch is still performing perfectly after 50 years, although I carry a spare just in case.

Tim

Dip Switch.jpg

Nothing wrong with floor-mounted dip switch - it's just where my left foot rests and it does not require either hand to be moved.

Ian Cornish

Ian,

With large feet, and being tall, I found the floor mounted dipswitch was in completely the wrong position; it made my leg ache.

I opted to add an extra stalk to my column switches and use that to control a relay. I used a repurposed Overdrive switch with an appropriate escutcheon, which allows the switch to be rotated to an approximate flip forward/back position.

It works really well for me.

TT

I have had first hand experience of new repro foot dipswitches being of dubious quality.
I had two fall apart very quickly, albeit some years ago. Ended up repairing the original one which still functions after 61 years.

james

Edited by james christie

Ordered new floor switch from Moss.so watch this space for quality. I did find suitable lucas type toggle switches (on - on switch as type for E Type Jag dip switch) from holden.co.uk so I still have an alternative choice..

Phil