My shoulder tops are about 6 inches over the top of the original seat & the headrest is a backrest! I'm looking at replacing these with MX5 Seats. Can someone please confirm the version of Mazda seat is the removable headrest type etc & what I'm letting myself in for in terms of fitting these in? When I purchase the seats are there any floor fixings I need to make sure I get or are the new seats using the original Triumph ones? Many thanks. Guy

IMG_20210316_155535_resized_20210316_040604194.jpg

Guy = my understanding is that the removable headrest ones are mark 2 versions - at least that was what I understood when I purchased the ones in the photos off Paul Bishop.

You will need to do some minor mods to the MX5 seat runners, cutting off surplus bits and bending some other bits but not difficult.

You will then need a set of conversion brackets which basically bolt into the existing floor mountings and then the MX5 seats bolt to them - if you go down this route, I have some of theseĀ  - PM me if interested

Cheers Rich

IMG_0003 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0004 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0005 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0006 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_2996 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3004 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3006 - Resized.JPG

yep Ā - as above, MkII have the removable headrests. Paul B is a very good source of refurbished MX5 seats, if you tell him they are for a TR he'll tweak the Mazda rails so they will fit the conversion brackets to save you doing it.

....... Andy

9 minutes ago, Guy Vinall said:

Thank you Rich and Andy. Very helpful. How can I contact Paul Bishop? Regards, Guy

I have sent you a Personal Message with the details I have for PaulĀ 

...... AndyĀ 

1 hour ago, styctassic said:

I also need new seats.probably MX5. Ā The ons illustrated by jawcrewread look good. Ā How can I contact Paul Bishop?

Hi - have sent you a PM with Pauls details ( a PM is a personal message in your forum mailbox which you will find under the envelope icon in the top right hand corner of a forum page)

Cheers Rich

2 hours ago, Guy Vinall said:

Just ordered 2 x New Black Leather MX5 Mk2 seats with the headrests for the TR6 from Paul Bishop. Very helpful chap. Not cheap, but a very knowledgable man, who knows his stuff & produces quality items.

Ā 

But much better value than those ones sold by Moss!

On 3/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, rcreweread said:

Hi - have sent you a PM with Pauls details ( a PM is a personal message in your forum mailbox which you will find under the envelope icon in the top right hand corner of a forum page)

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm working on an old 65 tr4A and i'm very interresting by the Paul Bishop MX5 seats kit.Ā 

How Can i contact him?

Thanks

Thierry

On 3/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, jpmf said:

Raise the front a small bit, makes them a lot more comfortable.

469771708_DSC_03651.thumb.JPG.8bfa5d2a51f312562b82e1dbaf454cc5.JPG

MX5 front spacer.Ā 

Hi JP. Did you buy the spacers or run them up ? Interested in a pair if available. Thank you

8 hours ago, ThierryD said:

Hi Rich,

I'm working on an old 65 tr4A and i'm very interresting by the Paul Bishop MX5 seats kit.Ā 

How Can i contact him?

Thanks

Thierry

Thierry - have sent you a PM ( Personal Message) - go to the envelope icon in the top right hand corner of the page and click on it - it will open up your forum mailbox

Cheers Rich

The need for the spacer is why I prefer the brackets from the Technicalities CD as they give the seats the correct angle and also are much stronger too.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, North London Mike said:

MX5 front spacer.Ā 

Hi JP. Did you buy the spacers or run them up ? Interested in a pair if available. Thank you

The spacer is an M10 joining nut, drilled out half way from one end, with appropriate sized bit, and then tapped 7/16 UNF to screw on to the captive bolts in the TR TRader brackets.

A good heavy wide M10 washer between the joining nut and the seat runner. I then used either 20 or 25mm M10 tapered head bolts with a washer underneath so I can fit the MX5 plastic seat runner covers.

Hi There. I had mx5 seats in a 4a and had to lift the seats at the front by placing a 1" spacer under the front of the runners and used longer bolts. Just had to do the same with Moss seats in my tr6 as I kept sliding forward. Both cars were much more comftable thanks to this simple mod.

Ā 

mike797

On 3/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, Guy Vinall said:

Just ordered 2 x New Black Leather MX5 Mk2 seats with the headrests for the TR6 from Paul Bishop. Very helpful chap. Not cheap, but a very knowledgable man, who knows his stuff & produces quality items.

Ā 

Really...(about the not cheap) maybe he has stuck his prices up but when I purchased from him a couple of years ago I thought they were a bargain compared to elsewhere available on the market... Top quality leather think I paid around Ā£650 for the pair...purchased the runners on Pauls advice from carl at TR Trader

1 hour ago, mike797 said:

Hi There. I had mx5 seats in a 4a and had to lift the seats at the front by placing a 1" spacer under the front of the runners and used longer bolts. Just had to do the same with Moss seats in my tr6 as I kept sliding forward. Both cars were much more comftable thanks to this simple mod.

Ā 

mike797

See my above answer why I fit the Technicalities CD bracketsĀ  They give the correct height.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-98047800-1500629851_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-25474400-1500629857_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-74158900-1500629862_thumb.jpg

5 hours ago, jpmf said:

The spacer is an M10 joining nut, drilled out half way from one end, with appropriate sized bit, and then tapped 7/16 UNF to screw on to the captive bolts in the TR TRader brackets.

A good heavy wide M10 washer between the joining nut and the seat runner. I then used either 20 or 25mm M10 tapered head bolts with a washer underneath so I can fit the MX5 plastic seat runner covers.

Thanks PJ, I'll give that a go

Hi, I am interested in Paul Bishop seats.

Could you please PM me his contact details.Ā 

Thanks

David

Ā 

3 hours ago, Strong fuel smell said:

Hi, I am interested in Paul Bishop seats.

Could you please PM me his contact details.Ā 

Thanks

David

Ā 

David - just sent his details to you in a PM

Cheers Rich

Guy,

While you're waiting for your seats from Paul you may be able to raise the head rests.

If you feel down the middle back of the seat you will feel a central post with two lugs sticking out if you can pinch these and pull the head rest at the same time you mayĀ  be able to raise them. Mine kept dropping so I put a few cable ties around each post.

Worth a try

Phil

IMG_6467(1).jpg

• 3 weeks later...