Leaking MU

Fantastic - the MU has arrived! That was just 4 days to get from Chiswick to Montpellier. The charges were also not bad, at 242€ (about £210), and with zero-VAT that only works out at about 5% on top of what I would have paid if I'd had it couriered to a UK address. Finally sounds like Fedex have figured out how to get stuff from the UK to the EU.

The next bit, which I'm dreading, is swapping the MU's. I've got new 'standard' injector hoses with all the fittings (including banjo's bolts), and it's a CR (125hp) unit, so using cylinder #6 for timing. I'm going to be using Enginuity for some phone help (well, they did offer) and I know they're going to suggest removing the pedestal as listed in the instructions, rather than just taking of the MU.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/steps to take that will help? All suggestions/photos (and reassurances) gladly accepted :)

Cheers, Robert

Edited by rwest
13 hours ago, rwest said:

Fantastic - the MU has arrived! That was just 4 days to get from Chiswick to Montpellier. The charges were also not bad, at 242€ (about £210), and with zero-VAT that only works out at about 5% on top of what I would have paid if I'd had it couriered to a UK address. Finally sounds like Fedex have figured out how to get stuff from the UK to the EU.

The next bit, which I'm dreading, is swapping the MU's. I've got new 'standard' injector hoses with all the fittings (including banjo's bolts), and it's a CR (125hp) unit, so using cylinder #6 for timing. I'm going to be using Enginuity for some phone help (well, they did offer) and I know they're going to suggest removing the pedestal as listed in the instructions, rather than just taking of the MU.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/steps to take that will help? All suggestions/photos (and reassurances) gladly accepted :)

Cheers, Robert

As you have proved once again only use the likes of Fedex or DHL for this type of shipment. When I was working I used there likes for all my business and private shipments to and from the world over. It is even cheaper if you use a business account and Ren burse the company especially from the USA to UK.

Bruce.

How are you getting on with that FMU Robert? I'm new to this TR world but I did fit one very recently and with the help and advice on here it worked well, as someone who hadnt done it before I might be able to add a perspective if it helps. Shout if you would like some input or a step by step.

Just now, TRier said:

How are you getting on with that FMU Robert? I'm new to this TR world but I did fit one very recently and with the help and advice on here it worked well, as someone who hadnt done it before I might be able to add a perspective if it helps. Shout if you would like some input or a step by step.

Hi TRier, and thanks very much for the offer, I might take you up on that.

I've managed to remove the MU while leaving the pedestal in-situ. I was hoping that as long as I put keep the 'dog' in the same position on the new one as the old one then I should be fine. I'm using a KMI recon and it has a mark on the rotor and a T on the body which should be aligned, and in the instructions it says that should relate to 20-45 degrees ATDC (this is for the later CR MU).

I've done a dry run (ie no hoses attached) and thought I'd check in port #6 on the MU and I'm not seeing anything at all. I was expecting to see at least part of the hole in the rotor. I'm not sure if this should worry me?

I know where you are coming from based on a simple principle of taking off as little as possible but look I wouldn’t agree to be honest. If you take off the pedestal you can see what you are doing and the manual instructions make sense, it’s not hard with the FMU attached to the pedestal. I never got that 20 to 45 degree business to work properly and mines a CR. There is a very good description in the service manual for the fuel injection itself. I’ll dig it out for you, I had some issues purely because I misinterpreted what rocking meant on NO 6. The FMU but went by the book, the port disappearing as you inserted the pedestal, every step as per the process in the manual. Plus with the pedestal and FMU as one unit it’s literally a few minutes to take it in any out so you get loads of bang for your buck in terms of attempts. 
I’ll dig our that manual with the process that worked well for me, if the method you are trying doesn’t work (and hopefully it does) maybe give this a try. I have the engine on mine out right now with the FMU on it and in a running state, If your stuck come back to me and we can teamviewer through it in real time or something. Not that I’m an expert, I’m not but it worked. 
Good luck with it.

If you leave the pedestal in place having already set TDC no1 firing when you fit the MU it should align with the dog and No6 port should have a an amount of hole showing. Remember you are not rebuilding an engine from scratch you are just changing the MU.  If you remove the pedestal then you have to retime the pedestal gears to the cam shaft. 

Thank you all for your advice, I truly appreciate it - but I thought that I'd try to keep the procedure to something my lethargic brain could cope with.

What I did was this, starting with the existing FMU:

1. Stuck a piece of paper on the crank shaft pulley with marks showing 20 & 45 degrees ATDC

2. Set the crank to between the 2 points.

3. Took the injector hose and outlet union from port #6

4. Surprisingly, there was the crescent of the port on the shaft!

5. Took the old FMU off the pedestal and noted the position of the dog on the FMU shaft

6. Set up the new FMU shaft to the same position as the old one and attached the dog with a little grease.

7. Bolted the FMU back onto the pedestal.

8. Took the outlet union off port #6 - and it appeared to show the crescent on the shaft (yay!)

9. Re-assembled everything.

10. Fired up engine (well, after a good struggle bleeding the injector hoses)

Obviously this assumes that the original FMU was correctly set up, but as it was Enginuity I trust that as a good starting point. Everything appears OK, but can anyone see a flaw in my method?

Well done more than one way to do things. That can be the downside of using a forum everyone has their own idea that works !