Significant Carb Leak

Well, I took the leap about a week ago and purchased my first Triumph, a 1976 TR6, so I'm a total newbie with these cars. So I've encountered my first problem, a significant gas leak coming from the carburetor. I have receipts from the PO that indicate both carbs were rebuilt by a shop that specializes in Triumphs about 3 months ago. I have ordered a rebuild kit and done some basic research on carb removal. My question is based upon where i believe the leaks are coming from near the bottom of the carburetor, do I have to do a total carb rebuild or is something else going on that would cause this mess. I also noticed gas coming from the vent in the flange where the air cleaner attaches. Unfortunately my short video of the leak is too large for this forum to post it.

Hi Mark what carbs are they? It could possibly be a seal on the float chambers or the pipe going in. Have you checked everything is tightened up properly.

Are you able to approach the company who did the rebuild and see if they can sort it out seeing as it's not lasted. I appreciate you were not their customer, but they may want to stand by their work.

Gareth

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Are you able to approach the company who did the rebuild and see if they can sort it out seeing as it's not lasted. I appreciate you were not their customer, but they may want to stand by their work.

Gareth

+1 Bruce.

I suspect its the "O" ring on the brass knurled nut underneath the float chamber as Ive had this before on Strombergs

Stuart.

Mark,

If the carburettors are Stromberg I had this problem with two newly rebuilt units on a Hillman Imp engine. The casings had been bead blasted to make everything look pristine. This process inadvertently exposed corrosion pitting on the machined part of the float bowl that passes over the jet assembly. No amount of new O rings and reassembly made any difference. Fortunately new float bowls were still available and this cured the problem. The carburettors were the smaller CD125 but the principle is the same on the larger ones. 

Mike. 

Edited by Mike Herlihy