Restoring my USA spec TR4, has not been without its trials and tribulations. The latest is just embarrassing.

It had had a TR4A centre section "H" frame fitted at some time, This I had nicely recovered, and along with my new carpet set began to fit it.

Now for a LHD car the 4A "H" frame would not present a problem, the right hand application, being OK.

For a RHD car, applying the handbrake means Jamming your left wrist between the Brake lever and the "H" section.......................

Anyone wanting a TR4A "H" section let me know, ( What a plonker )

P1080384.jpg

P1080388.jpg

Just a thought Pete - why not convert to a 4A type handbrake on top of the tunnel? More convenient and while lacking the ultimate mechanical advantage of the earlier type it can be modified for improved performance.

Tim 

Hi Pete,

the 4A centre HB can work well (the 4 HB is very good tho')

By the way. That is a TR5/6 'H' section - it does not have the raised lip on the gearstick cutout.

Is it not possible t slightly bend the HB away from the 'H' section.

Roger

50 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Just a thought Pete - why not convert to a 4A type handbrake on top of the tunnel? More convenient and while lacking the ultimate mechanical advantage of the earlier type it can be modified for improved performance.

Tim 

Thats too much work sadly, TR Bitz are going to look for a normal one tomorrow.

Roger, knowing my luck it would break, and in its normal position it can worry your leg a little, and more if moved a bit to the right.

3 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Tim 

Made up a kit covering all this for aTR4 group member who was struggling with the original handbrake.

Worked well, and from memory total cost less than £100.00

John.

It would be a shame to discard the 4A H frame because it adds rigidity to the body. Why not attempt to shorten the lever until your wrist clear the H frame if possible (2" should be ok). Wrist watch being another story....

Edited by Geko
2 hours ago, Geko said:

It would be a shame to discard the 4A H frame because it adds rigidity to the body. Why not attempt to shorten the lever until your wrist clear the H frame if possible (2" should be ok). Wrist watch being another story....

Standard TR4 one does the same job, thats why they fitted them.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, sean f connaughton said:

hi.  stitched cover lovely job. can you tell me the contact and cost of same .

sean

Cost was £70, trimmer was pete Lenton in Cheadle Hulme cheshire, now owned by Brian after Pete's death, nice bloke on 0161 4852464

Stitched leather covering lovely job .

Can you tell me where you got it done and the cost?

Sean.

Hi Pete.  Spoke to Brian as you said nice bloke,  As i live in Southern Ireland i was hoping that he could supply only as i was not comfortable

sending frame over by post...He will have a look to see if he has the pattern off yours and i am to contact him in say a weeks time,

Thanks Sean.