Crankshaft end float and other issues

I'm a happy chap with my TR6.

The crankshaft end float was becoming a major concern and the car had an exhaust flange leak which I couldn't repair at home so I booked the car into the (only) Triumph man here in Sydney.

He managed to get the flange apart with some clever tools and replaced the gasket.

He measured the crank float and it was .011". He removed the sump and fitted new thrust washers. He checked the rear big end bearing and it was in excellent condition.

He noticed the oil pump didn't have a gauze filter (a mystery as I didn't remove it). He checked the pump and it showed signs of wear so replaced it with a new one.

The front two sump bolts have had stripped threads for years which my quick helicoil repair didn't fix. He redrilled the aluminium, put a UNC helicoil in and the sump now nips up properly.

So now the TR6 sounds brilliant. The oil pressure is up about 10psi, from low 20s at idle hot to low to mid 30s, from 60psi at 2500rpm to 70 psi. The engine leaks are reduced to a couple of drops here and there. All for 4 hours labour.

To top it off yesterday we had a club run in very heavy rain so I took the TR6 to test the new hardtop. It proved quite waterproof, a drip or two at each end above the windscreen in torrential rain. The other water leaks are still there and being worked on but the hardtop is great and my wife was happy with the improvement.

Edited by John McCormack