Differences between a 4A soft top and a 5/6 soft top

Looking at my hood, I do not have that strap. I would have thought that that the outermost hole is indeed for attaching a popper but that it would fix to the side of the hood, which has a “leg” that extends to the front, but seems to be missing the button popper

04EAC683-1C6D-4270-9865-2FFEE672389C.jpeg

Good morning Enrique,

I hope another TR4A owner will show us two youngsters how the strap is fixed on the hood frame and the hook on the window frame on his car.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
8 hours ago, Efuentes said:

Looking at my hood, I do not have that strap. I would have thought that that the outermost hole is indeed for attaching a popper but that it would fix to the side of the hood, which has a “leg” that extends to the front, but seems to be missing the button popper

04EAC683-1C6D-4270-9865-2FFEE672389C.jpeg

I'm no expert here and I'm sure someone else will add more info. I also have a TR5 hood frame so it is different. Can you take a photo slightly further away? It doesn't look like the top is fitted correctly as some of the frame is showing. May just be becaus eit is a 4A frame. I'll take some pics of mine this morning.

See below some pictures. Don’t worry with the excess rubber seal sticking out. I fitted a new one a couple of days ago and, following advice from this great forum, I am waiting before cutting it to allow for some shrinking. As a side question, If I want to close my doors with the window up, the glass goes above the hood, which looks a bit odd. What bugs me, as you point out, is that I can see the frame at the end of both sides of the hood, and that I have this funny extension of the hood sticking out on both sides. That extension is where I think there may be a popper missing, but, upon closer examination, there is no way it would fit where the side holes in the frame are located... maybe that is why you have a strap?

8D1E5C51-6B5A-460C-90AC-0ACC0A109EFB.jpeg

A5C52DD4-DF85-4AC7-998E-2DC5D16F1456.jpeg

9EC1CB50-EA33-4456-96DF-36D18D65AECA.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Efuentes said:

See below some pictures. Don’t worry with the excess rubber seal sticking out. I fitted a new one a couple of days ago and, following advice from this great forum, I am waiting before cutting it to allow for some shrinking. As a side question, If I want to close my doors with the window up, the glass goes above the hood, which looks a bit odd. What bugs me, as you point out, is that I can see the frame at the end of both sides of the hood, and that I have this funny extension of the hood sticking out on both sides. That extension is where I think there may be a popper missing, but, upon closer examination, there is no way it would fit where the side holes in the frame are located... maybe that is why you have a strap?

8D1E5C51-6B5A-460C-90AC-0ACC0A109EFB.jpeg

A5C52DD4-DF85-4AC7-998E-2DC5D16F1456.jpeg

9EC1CB50-EA33-4456-96DF-36D18D65AECA.jpeg

Sorry but that hood is never ever going to be correct, its too narrow across the front altogether, those side flaps are supposed to sit behind the glass anyway to prevent draughts.

I wouldnt try fitting that hood and get one that fits properly.This is how it should look

Stuart.

image.thumb.png.4f3e0c070a44e661ea0266c33e0f8e96.png

Edited by stuart

Many thanks, Stuart. The problem seems to be that the hood is too narrow at the front (or the frame too wide), Is there any way to slightly stretch it (ie: some heat). If so, I would remove, stretch and refit. Buying a new one would be off budget (there are many other priorities)...

Looking at it more closely, there are 3cm of front frame sticking out on each side, so not likely able to extend it so much... Maybe I have the wrong frame (I don't think so) or the wrong hood (Is TR4 narrower than TR4a?

15 minutes ago, Efuentes said:

Many thanks, Stuart. The problem seems to be that the hood is too narrow at the front (or the frame too wide), Is there any way to slightly stretch it (ie: some heat). If so, I would remove, stretch and refit. Buying a new one would be off budget (there are many other priorities)...

Im afraid your never going to be able to stretch it that much as presumably its the same the other side, I have no idea where that hood came from but its just wrong, you frame is correct for a 4a and a TR4 hood would have a different front with the section that tucks under the header rail but they are still the same width regardless. You would need to ask whoever supplied that hood for a refund.

Stuart.

I bought the car like this, unfortunately, so no chances of a refund... I even don't know who provided and fitted the hood, nor does the prior owner... It also looks like my front rail may have been welded and is not original, as the finishing does not look good with a lot of weld material, so maybe the problem is the front rail. Also, in the pictures, you can see that the header rail goes beyond the windscreen by 1cm on each side. Is this the way it is supposed to fit?

16164187393342212953882594980679.jpg

16164187019728332555514711570540.jpg

16164191693817424123113195087588.jpg

16164191976568301530255539248093.jpg

That weld is quite usual as its a weak spot where the header rail is riveted to the side arms so nothing to really worry about and yes there is a little overhang as that allows the hood material to go round and cover the header rail.

Stuart.

Hi Enrique,

you hood seams not to be a new one and I've been told they shrink by time, specialy the vinyl ones.

This is also the case with the textile TR6 one vom 1992 on my TR4A, or it never fitted at all.

I throw my new hood over the "new" TR4A frame this evening and post photos, I never did that because I never had doubt a Don Hood hood will fit.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
39 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi Enrique,

you hood seams not to be a new one and I've been told they shrink by time, specialy the vinyl ones.

Ciao, Marco

They do shrink but not by that much

Stuart.

Many thanks to everyone. Definitely looks like I have a problem with the hood. I will try to see if I am able to find an alternative solution to buying a new hood

On the subject of Don's hoods, spoke to them today and there is a lead time of 6-8 weeks. A bit disappointed, however, had a phone call straight back saying they were making a batch of the superior quality TR5/6 hoods, so if anyone wants one they are available for a short time.

Hi,

this is my old hood, I thought it was made like the original.

The hinge hangs down a bit in the hinge, to correct this I guess I have to pull it back by the belts.

udiPL2hdbWRohjQtL1RmBg4AnPJZRUehC_K9oV4C

I never liked to see the velcro strips because the hood it is too narrow at the window frame and more narrow above the windows.

So I asked Don Hood to make me a special one, along the top of the window more like for a TR4 - and they told me I simply need the correct TR4A frame and hood.

Here it comes, the hood, I guess that will fit nice.

We_v_zUlIPN5joYDYhq5PdmNYa1qQH_9DMdjCBvd

Please aware, at the moment this is like wearing a pullover over a pullover.

qoPZ_1w2VPfVf9YPP_vq4_4Y4iY8d-xJXV521uwE

I know I have to attach the textile with "a wire" to the hook on the findow frame - but how? Can anyone help with a photo please?

8qXHuvo4w9y2v6XwUK-DsmwqjaY75hfD1-HcazUF

And to my surprise I found this strap inside to what ever with it? Fit it with a popper to the hood frame? What for?

RUhq5rn3ZctH1W7L6zHKW-cY6fvnVAtUtd61cFFp

I hope someone can explain.

Ciao, Marco

Many thanks to everyone. Definitely looks like I have a problem with the hood. I will try to see if I am able to find an alternative solution to buying a new hood. Marco, that looks really nice. Interested on the attachment tp the hook on the windscreen, as that could be part of my solution, and on the mysterious strap, so I will be following this thread and please keep me posted

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

this is my old hood, I thought it was made like the original.

The hinge hangs down a bit in the hinge, to correct this I guess I have to pull it back by the belts.

udiPL2hdbWRohjQtL1RmBg4AnPJZRUehC_K9oV4C

I never liked to see the velcro strips because the hood it is too narrow at the window frame and more narrow above the windows.

So I asked Don Hood to make me a special one, along the top of the window more like for a TR4 - and they told me I simply need the correct TR4A frame and hood.

Here it comes, the hood, I guess that will fit nice.

We_v_zUlIPN5joYDYhq5PdmNYa1qQH_9DMdjCBvd

Please aware, at the moment this is like wearing a pullover over a pullover.

qoPZ_1w2VPfVf9YPP_vq4_4Y4iY8d-xJXV521uwE

I know I have to attach the textile with "a wire" to the hook on the findow frame - but how? Can anyone help with a photo please?

8qXHuvo4w9y2v6XwUK-DsmwqjaY75hfD1-HcazUF

And to my surprise I found this strap inside to what ever with it? Fit it with a popper to the hood frame? What for?

RUhq5rn3ZctH1W7L6zHKW-cY6fvnVAtUtd61cFFp

I hope someone can explain.

Ciao, Marco

Marco

Have a look at this; https://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/folding-a-tr4a-soft-top.72576/

Groeten,

Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver

This is really confusing. Will a 4A soft top fit on a TR5/6 frame? I have the flaps that hang down by the window not the TR5/6 style. I guess either or would work but I prefer the look of the flaps - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi Marcel,

thank you very much for that, it looks like Jase (also thank you very much) shows it on his photos,

the difference is the hood frame and where the strap is fixed. I think the hood explains what I have to do.

The wire I will order at Rimmer Bros. And fix it with one rivet from inside.

Grüße, Marco

9 hours ago, Jase said:

This is really confusing. Will a 4A soft top fit on a TR5/6 frame? I have the flaps that hang down by the window not the TR5/6 style. I guess either or would work but I prefer the look of the flaps - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OK, with another look on your photos 

you had a TR4A hood (with those lovely "flaps") on a TR6 frame.

You have to make a decision, mine was to go back to the very nice original,

probably the TR6 hood is more sealed above the windows and less "flap-flap" at higher speed.

I don't care that, my TR is not a every day driver

Edited by Z320

Confusion over. TR5/6 hood arrived today, superb quality. The velcro on the hood lines up nicely with the frame. Just bought a fan heater to warm the inside of the car up and will fit tomorrow. very happy with this and the bonus of a zip out window.

F1A96B7C-442F-49B4-9969-0E3CB20478E8.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody,

my new TR4A hood frame and softtop is close to be finished, I love that design and I'm very pleased.

One stupid question: the both hooks to connect the "flaps" of the hood behind the window on the window frame is fixed from inside?

v0DmdBLpOJwLGRk7XdmMbpdSm6j1E-e7t_l1wO_8

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

And with a closer look yesterday evening,

the hooks are fine, this @%$%!!?@ rivets from Rimmer Bros. make me very sad....

Male and female the same diameter and too short even to reach through the double loop of the hook....

4_Hk8dCluBRPwthxYlHhDejv3wXBXIYuhoEQzhRd