Differences between a 4A soft top and a 5/6 soft top

I'm getting confused now, I have the Tr5/6 locking system on top of the windscreen but I don't seem to have the velcro strips above the windows. Is there a huge amount of difference between a TR4A soft top and a TR5/6 soft top? If I ordered the wrong one would it still fit? I'll tale more detailed photographs tomorrow but hoping it is simply a case of they both will fit. Thanks??

Found some better photos and having watched the youtube video on the TR6 hood I think this is a TR5/6 frame (thanks Stuart). I’m pretty sure I can see the rails for the rubbers.

59A75615-DA5B-4237-B19C-0AF4A0E500E2.jpeg

692AA2E5-7EA7-4E28-AF9C-2940BCD12731.jpeg

D5C95169-0A08-4A62-AC7E-48D2187194C6.jpeg

A5FC9E76-8E03-4865-8255-1ADC7E5AAE71.jpeg

07955417-DF1D-41CC-B091-ED0236DC2657.jpeg

Thats a TR6 frame, Differences are the front/header-rail piece & how it clamps to the (different to 4A) top of windscreen, the 4 aluminium pieces rivetted above the window apertures (and the rubber seals clipped into them) plus a strip of velcro that runs along the outside just above the alloy strips.

I think a TR6 hood will physically fit a 4A frame & vice versa, only difference is the velcro bit i think....

I have a TR6 frame with the front rail swapped to 4A style to use the original clamps/windscreen capping.

The 4A frame has no rail to run the windows against,

the hood is wider and the opening between door and hood is about 4 cm smaller.

I love this more "flat slotted windows" when the hood is closed.

24 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks everyone so I need to order the TR6 hood?

Or TR250/5 if you do not want a zip out rear window.  Beware TR250 and US spec soft tops have reflective stripes.

As I know the hood had always 3 windows,

but there are some 1 window hoods out there, with simply the 2 small ones missing.

A friend of mine has one on his TR fitted and driving reverse he is not pleased about.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Or TR250/5 if you do not want a zip out rear window.  Beware TR250 and US spec soft tops have reflective stripes.

Thanks, I saw the reflective strips on some. Just after a standard type hood, just want to make sure I get the correct one for the hood frame and car.

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

No criticism at all, please,

but as I'm already on the naughty step please allow me to ask

about the condition of your TR4A and when do you want to order the new hood?

Car is work in progress, new chasis, all new running gear etc. Bodywork needs work but this is a working car, I use it as my everyday car from March through to November so a good hood is essential. I'll be working on the bodywork a section at a time but it is to be enjoyed above everything else :) 

I supposed your car neets some work and time and not urgendly a new hood,

if this is the case you could wait ordering a new one and perhaps decide later to fit a TR4A hood on your TR4A.

But if you use it from March as a everyday car you should order now.

10 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I supposed your car neets some work and time and not urgendly a new hood,

if this is the case you could wait ordering a new one and perhaps decide later to fit a TR4A hood on your TR4A.

But if you use it from March as a everyday car you should order now.

That's the plan, happy with the 6 frame as I've a new backlight on order and will fit the revington surrey top later. Would prefer to use this car, hate my modern ones so this is just a breath of fresh air :) 

Just after advice from the wise collective. Just received this hood and I’m not sure that it is a TR5/6 hood. The centre band that attached to the hood frame is too long and catches on the webbing and doesn’t look like my old hood which has a shorter piece. It also seems a little short, i expect it to be snug and tighter but think this might be a little tight???

45C19F4F-F06D-40CA-8D4D-0E44018E73F4.jpeg

2F64E336-F76D-4691-B8FD-AD320F3C2AC5.jpeg

A6F9DAD8-8C40-456C-8AD8-16A43FA6FEEC.jpeg

EB16EAA8-0AD2-4E16-ADBA-EC7743D1FD2A.jpeg

A851373C-A095-4900-97AA-04595B6FCA3E.jpeg

Where did it come from? Does look a bit short but if its a cold day that wont help, The centre pocket doesnt look right thats for sure. TR6 ones(Which I presume youve ordered to go with that hood frame) also have a pocket for the rear bar too.

Stuart.

Hi,

this is a photo from my TR4A hood frame, which (as I know) is unique for this model.

koVEXgKhq6opM0eBm8Deux4F66nScARYkW2ufWYh

It has no rims / seals above the windows, the TR6 frame has them. 

On both frame models the 2nd frame bar is responsible to let front end of the hood fall into the "knee" of the hinge.

The 1st and 3rd frame bars are adjustable and the belt holds them in the position of the seams, this is why the belt has to be fixed on the front bar.

As I understand the belt fixed on the front bar has nothing to do with a "hanging through" hinge above the door, this is because of a slack belt to the rear end?

Something what I need some help for, please:

in the front bar there are drillings for the belt, also for the rail for the seal - and another one on each side - but I don't know what for it is?

vpvsAa2GpvPyrVIPCzsk4c0yvevSvKN-tSdBCuN4

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I have exactly the same question as Marco. Mine has two bolts in the side holes, but they are not attached to anything, just to the corners of the front bar if the frame..

That's easy guys, the top left holes as you say are for the fixings for the webbing. The 3 arrows at the front are to attach the guides for the seal with pop rivets. The one on the far right is for you to attach a base for a popper. You then fix the tab of your hood to this.

Thank you for your answer,

but I don't know what to popp on there, perhaps you have a photo, please?

And Don Hood supported me with 7 male popper, not 9 of them.

Left side the hole is "empty", right side a 3.2 mm (?) pop rivet is tight fitted with no space for nothing under its head.

Could this holes be there to drain the rail, needed or not?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320