TR6 CR Wiper wheel box removal advice please

Guys I am currently stripping my car in preparation for a bare metal respray due to the dreaded micro blisters after 8 years of ownership, the car looks great from 20ft ! unfortunately even time you wash or wipe the paint for dust the blisters pop !!! 

I am struggling to remove the windscreen wiper wiper mechanism from the top vent, the motor is off but the rack and the two drives don't seem to have enough clearance to come out the top vent.

Am I missing something obvious ?

Hopefully I will Get it back in time to drive it at some point this year.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hello Andy,

This isn't quite as simple job as it first appears. You have to remove the internal rack completely from the motor end, then remove the speedometer, followed by the rev counter. This gives access to a (small) panel in the bulkhead. Remove this and you have access to the RH wheelbox. After this great pleasure  you'll have to remove the glovebox to allow access to the LH wheelbox access panel. Removing the rear plates of the wheel boxes will release the tubes the rack runs in. It may just be worth attacking the Glovebox side first, once the wheel box is released you may then just be able to remove the centre piece of tube, RH wheelbox and short final section of tube in one piece. Others may confirm this point. It's a year or two since I last had to take the mechanism apart on my car. It's such a tricky job I would suggest renewing any parts showing signs of wear to save having to go back, and of course test the wipers before refitting speedo etc.

Good luck, I hope you have small hands and plenty of patience. One opinion I read on the forum is that Triumph built the TR6 by starting with the heater and building the car around it. I think they may have started with the wiper mechanism!

Its all in the Triumph workshop manual 84.15.28 and 29.

You could ask the spray shop if they can work around the wiper spindles poking through the windscreen panel and just remove the outer rubber supports. 

Ian

Tricky job just finished doing mine today. I had removed every thing off the car to do the body tub properly. The pipes I cleaned out of old grease the mechanisms were in pretty good shape so cleaned up ok. I bought new parts to fit the mechanisms to the front deck and new nuts too.

Replacing was a pain as I have sausage fingers not nimble ones that are required.using the two small accesses I fitted the mechanisms first then the tubes. Lastly I used the wiper motor. Wire to check the movement of the mechanisms. About an hours work.