Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I had to return a set to a shed in the Midlands  (a well known name) that were too fat to allow full engangement of the wheel nut on the thread.  I bought a new set of steels.

Beware. Wiser to buy from a TR specialist in my view.

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites

5.5 should be sufficient. 
 

agree to buy from a tr specialist  as pcd is the same for many cars. Stag Saab  sp250 TR’s but the  ET is very different and so are the nuts sleeved or typical chamfered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly buying alloys from a TR specialist is best, they should supply correct PCD and offset, with wheel nuts to suit. But be prepared that depending on wheel width chosen, thin spacers and/or longer studs may be required.

Nigel

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheel width will depend on tyre choice so once you have decided that you will get an optimum wheel. A wider wheel will give more tyre options and offer more support to the sidewall. You will then have a huge price disparity. The cheaper ones probably cut corners on a number of areas but the one you will notice is the finish which will peel and discolour very quickly. As others have said, offset is important.

A quality wheel (and nuts) should last many years without requiring refinishing. Compomotive are one such.

Jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got JBW ones that are 6j, but I have 185 tyres. These fit fine. I guess if you're running 165 tyres then 5.5j would be better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DRD said:

I've got JBW ones that are 6j, but I have 185 tyres. These fit fine. I guess if you're running 165 tyres then 5.5j would be better.

Thank you. Currently running 195 65 R15’s which I’m quite happy with so thinking of opting for 6J

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 15x6 Revolutions on my TR6, with 195/65-15 tyres. I'm happy with this set up, though these wheels were on the car when I bought it years ago, and have to admit I've never driven a '6 on standard wheels and tyres. The front wheels needed 1/4" spacers and longer studs from Moss to clear the suspension on full lock.

Whatever wheel you opt for, choose your tyres carefully. Go for a quality tyre brand and look at the rolling radius compared to standard, as this will have an effect on overall gearing and speedo accuracy. The 195/65-15 Bridgestones on my car are close to the original rolling radius and offer excellent grip dry or wet, with decent ride.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I have 15x6 Revolutions on my TR6, with 195/65-15 tyres. I'm happy with this set up, though these wheels were on the car when I bought it years ago, and have to admit I've never driven a '6 on standard wheels and tyres. The front wheels needed 1/4" spacers and longer studs from Moss to clear the suspension on full lock.

Whatever wheel you opt for, choose your tyres carefully. Go for a quality tyre brand and look at the rolling radius compared to standard, as this will have an effect on overall gearing and speedo accuracy. The 195/65-15 Bridgestones on my car are close to the original rolling radius and offer excellent grip dry or wet, with decent ride.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Revolutions are one of the options that I’m considering.

Currently running Pirelli’s. I’ve had them on there for 10 years but only done around 5000 miles. 
 

Next dilemma is whether to throw them away or reuse them... Whole new can of worms...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowperil said:

Thanks Nigel

Revolutions are one of the options that I’m considering.

Currently running Pirelli’s. I’ve had them on there for 10 years but only done around 5000 miles. 
 

Next dilemma is whether to throw them away or reuse them... Whole new can of worms...

After 10 years, it's definitely time for new tyres. I ran Pirellis on my GT6 and after 5-6 years they were awful in the wet, still plenty of tread depth but the rubber had hardened and wet grip was poor.

Nigel

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowperil said:

Thanks Nigel

Revolutions are one of the options that I’m considering.

Currently running Pirelli’s. I’ve had them on there for 10 years but only done around 5000 miles. 
 

Next dilemma is whether to throw them away or reuse them... Whole new can of worms...

Hi Yellowperil you have a pm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nigel Triumph said:

After 10 years, it's definitely time for new tyres. I ran Pirellis on my GT6 and after 5-6 years they were awful in the wet, still plenty of tread depth but the rubber had hardened and wet grip was poor.

Nigel

Yes, deep down I know there’s no choice really

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 years??? Blimey. I junk mine after 5 regardless of how few miles.

I see the MOT is changing to fail any tyres over 10 years.... about time too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yellowperil said:

 

Hi Yellowperil scroll to the top of the page and click on the little envelope on the right of your screen and you'll find a personal message

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year my lockdown treat was a new set of mini light replicas 5.5J 15 and a set of Yokohama 's from R and R Alloys.

https://www.randr-alloys.co.uk/

Dave is an absolute Gent to deal with he kept me informed all the way through the process very highly reccomended 

As you can see from my signature pic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eddie Trickett said:

I can't find any information about MOT failure for tyres over 10 years old.

Is this a proposal  for cars?

 

Only currently applicable to the front axles of lorries, coaches, buses and some minibuses, some details here:

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/dvsa-tyres-over-10-years-old-will-be-banned-on-heavy-vehicles

Not currently a proposal for cars, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the position evolves in the years ahead.

....... Andy 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.