Murray Walker

Murray must have done more to raise the public profile of motor sport in the UK than anyone, a broadcasting giant. A bleak day when he stopped his F1 commentaries he has sadly now taken his personal chequered flag.

..and why no knighthood?

Alan

The first time I met the great man was at the Goodwood Revival Cricket match. Not in the members enclosure or hospitality tent  but in the gents toilet!  It was a close call but fortunately he didn't turn round  and soak my trousers when I said hello.  A true giant of the sport who's commentary style will never be equaled.  His Murrayisms were legendary.   Ie "He's on fire!"  James Hunt replied "No Murray, that's his rain light you can see" 

Hoges. 

Difficult to think of another man so universally loved throughout the sport, and across all ages. He was the reason I first became interested in Formula One (it was hard not to become interested when Murray was commentating!).

Later, I was lucky enough to work with him when I recorded his autobiography, titled "Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken". In my twenties at the time, and with a love of motorsport, it was an honour to meet him and to be able to watch the master at work behind the microphone. 

Not only a great man, but also a kind and genuine one.

Cheers Murray. You'll be much missed.

Deggers

On 3/14/2021 at 3:15 PM, john.r.davies said:

His commentary style was said to be as if his pants were on fire, but even James Hunt would not have dared to put them out by peeing on them.

John tried to PM you, but informed you cannot take messages, is your inbox full?

John.

+1 The voice of motorsport, and seemed a genuine bloke.

There was a great documentary on his life, I think for his 95th birthday, and he seemed held in high esteem

by drivers and officials alike, include Bernie Ecclestone.

Irreplaceable.

John.