Different seat for tall drivers

Hi all

i am looking to see what can be done to accommodate my 6ft 6 frame in my 72,I want to keep the existing seat as standard so I will remove it and the runners giving me a clear area to work with .So using the existing holes attach two strait pieces of steel to run back towards the back shelf and and fix a grp type bucket seat to them as far back as it will go,of course it will be permanently fixed in this position but I am hoping this will give me a lower position and a bit more length.Short of cutting several inches off my legs this is the only route I can come up with,anyone had any experience with the uncovered seat shells on the market! Or other ideas would be a greatly appreciated 

regards nige

stay safe everyone almost there

Nigel,

In "uncovered seat shells", are you thinking of Kirkey seats?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series/Seats-By-Series

The uncovered seats are, unexpectedly, very comfortable!   A friend and I did the Club Triumph Ten Countries Run in a Spitfire fitted with these, and  despite the total lack of upholstery, didn't suffer a numb bum, ever!  They do minimal padding covers as well, if you have a bony bum or elbows!

Kirkey do a "Vintage Class Bucket Seat" if their high back chairs aren't to your taste, but I've never tried one.

Edited by john.r.davies

I have Mazda MX5 seats bolted straight to the floor.  I am 6 feet 5inches plus and have covered loads of distance touring in my 6.  More room would be ideal, but rear wheel arch intrudes to prevent more backward travel of seat.  Would be interested to hear how you get on with not padded fibreglass.  Good luck. Mike H

Nigel,

I am 6'4'' and concurr with Mike that MX5 seats mounted to the floor are the best option. I would like my legs to be a bit straighter when driving but they don't tangle the steering wheel and we have often had long trips, Scotland to CLM / Spain with no cramped legs or numb bums.

(Anyone in your local group with a MX5 conversion you could do a trial fit in?)

Best of luck with whatever solution you choose.

Regards

John

8 hours ago, nigelcurry said:

Hi all

i am looking to see what can be done to accommodate my 6ft 6 frame in my 72,I want to keep the existing seat as standard so I will remove it and the runners giving me a clear area to work with .So using the existing holes attach two strait pieces of steel to run back towards the back shelf and and fix a grp type bucket seat to them as far back as it will go,of course it will be permanently fixed in this position but I am hoping this will give me a lower position and a bit more length.Short of cutting several inches off my legs this is the only route I can come up with,anyone had any experience with the uncovered seat shells on the market! Or other ideas would be a greatly appreciated 

regards nige

stay safe everyone almost there

You have I presume adjusted the steering column 

Thanks all

as usual plenty to take on board,to be honest I didn’t think adjusting the steering wheel would give me enough leg length,but my head nearly hitting the roof is a large part of the problem so getting my bum closer to the floor is important .Thanks once again for your invaluable info and thoughts

nige

Im not quite as tall as you 6`4" but with original MX seats I fit OK and Ive done more than 400ml trips in a day with mine no problem. What often happens with MX seats is when they get recovered they end up getting overstuffed hence the reduced room.

Stuart.

Just a thought, Nigel.     The roof of the Ford GT40 is famously only 40 inches above the floor.  So Dan Gurney, who won Le Mans in one, twice, had a problem fitting into it, as he was 6ft 4ins, the same as you, plus he had to wear a crash helmet.       His solution was the Gurney Bubble, a bulge in the roof to give clearance.   The 'roof' of course was part of the door.

image.png.b38e688bdc41724d269ba4bd6de8fa2f.png

Tres elegant, n'est-ce pas?  Aussi, tres aerodynamique!  Toujours, le look racing!

John