Fire Extinguisher for TR4

Motorsport UK has the benefit of many years experience of accidents and fires in competition.   You can read their recommendations online at https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/155-195-Safety-K.pdf  from Para 3 onwards.

That experience has made them mandate that competition extinguishers must be 'plumbed-in', with fixed nozzles connected to the supply, usually one in the engine compartment and one pointing at the driver.     Road drivers may prefer a 'hand-held' one, which should be  mounted in a dedicated rack, where it will be easily accessible.  They are no use in the boot, and one of a size that will work won't fit in the glove box.   Dry powder is corrosive to alloy parts, AFFF is excellent but you should have at least 2.4kgs of it.    Zero2000 is rather expensive

I've seen very impressive demonstrations of the "Firestick" fire suppressant system, but MUK won't consider them at present.

Edited by john.r.davies

The best advice that we have seen here in the past is that if the car catches fire, don't risk your life but walk away - its only a car.

That is instinctively difficult of course and in the past I have had a small extinguisher in the car and several around my house. However, recently bought a few of these for the TR and the house, as they seem to be gaining popularity in the motor, marine and domestic worlds: https://firesafetystick.com

No doubt many will have a view on these and if I was going racing, a fully plumbed system would be required, but I liked the shelf life aspect and ability to leave the stick functioning at a fire whilst walking away from it.

Brickbats awaited....!

Miles

John's response crossed with mine!

Edited by MilesA

When I found that my floor-mounted extinguisher was well past its expiry date and being concerned about the residue left if one used a foam extinguisher, I discussed with Mike North (owner of TR4 Reg LNK) and then purchased from Yacht Boat Parts a JE100 (PFE-3) extinguisher and mounting bracket.

Small and light, and no residue if one had to use it.

Of course, I cannot say whether it does the business, but the videos suggest that it would.

Couldn't find now on Yacht Boat Parts, Amazon lists but has no stock, but worth looking here: 

boatsearch.earth/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/JR-Fire-PFE-Data-sheet.pdf

Ian Cornish

57 minutes ago, RobH said:

The fire safety sticks are available from the Register shop.  

How do we find the shop?

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Top of the page, click on the "back to main site" then shop. They are under car accessories/other products.

Mick

Not on my rendering of home page image.thumb.png.75a4b98ca246e3f5126d0d9f3e3553ba.png

59 minutes ago, stuart said:

How do we find the shop?

Stuart.

Be Warned.

once ‘in’ the shop there is no link back to the TR Register main website.   I reported this last year and the problem persists for me using an iPad with latest iOS 

That said I’ve ordered my Fire Stick 

Peter W

33 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Looks like you are using a tablet or a small screen, so click on menu to find the Shop and other tabs.

Mick

No Im using a PC and clicking on menu does nothing.

Stuart.

Well that is interesting. Trying it on my tablet and right enough you can't see the shop tag and hitting menu doesn't help.  Looks like there is a bug in the tablet implementation of the site which loses the links.  Using it in portrait mode loses even more of the links and there seems no way to see the missing ones. It does it on a laptop too if the screen width is restricted.  If the screen is too narrow you probably have to zoom out to be able to see them. 

Edited by RobH
1 minute ago, RobH said:

Well that is interesting. Trying it on my tablet and right enough you can't see the shop tag and hitting menu doesn't help.  Looks like there is a bug in the tablet implementation of the site which loses the links.  Using it in portrait mode loses even more of the links and there seems no way to see the missing ones. It does it on a laptop too if the screen width is restricted. 

Im using a good sized screen on a PC running Firefox on W10 and nothing when clicking on menu.

Stuart.

You're quite right Stuart. This is what I see on my laptop, first with the wide view and then with the window narrowed down. The narrower you make it, the more of the tabs are lost. 

Definitely something odd with the design of the page as you would expect a slider to appear at the bottom, the same as there is at the side, to enable you to see the rest of the page, or else for the tabs to fold round to a double row. The Menu tab does nothing. 

wide.jpg.8ae88c4a0a47143626676fe9b8c7f130.jpg

narrow.jpg.021536c9482b385aa80741b59658bbf9.jpg

Rather than shouting , "FIRE!",  I'll drag the thread back on track by asking, what is PFE-3?   

I read that it was developed for the International Space Station, but not what it is and hiow it works.

Whilst you don’t need a plumbed in system for sprints and hillclimbs in road going cars these are worth the consideration. 

4.25L Car Fire Extinguisher Kit AFFF - FIA Approved MSA - Not Lifeline

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393056949426

a friend we know on here had a TR3 fire and a hand held extinguisher didn’t touch putting it out. 

Apparently it's Portable Fire Extinguisher John !

https://www.boatsearch.earth/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/JR-Fire-PFE-Data-sheet.pdf

They are not clear what it in it- just 'potassium compound' 

The stated discharge time is much less than that of the firestick. 

Edited by RobH

Hi all

FWIW and having put out an engine bay fire on my TR4 some years ago, you need to remember that unleaded fuel burns at 1000 degrees plus, so a small extinguisher will not deal with it and whatever, you have less than a minute to react if you are to successfully put out a fuel fire.

As a result of experience I carry a minimum of 4 litres of AFFF in each of my TR4’s, with 6litres in BST82B. Even then, I doubt that unless you catch a fire quickly in a TR you will fail to put it out, so a fire stick might improve this ? I hope not to see this again as it certainly makes your heart beat.

Fuel and power cut off’s are equally essential and if you’re running electric pumps an inertia switch to cut them dead if you roll over and a good fuel cap that won’t open when inverted.

Regards

Tony