How do I apply for RFL exemption when my car is 40 years old?

47 minutes ago, modelbuilder said:

Hi, I have tried to access this info via the search facility without success. I’m sure that it has been covered before but I’d appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this already.

Rodders.

Hi Rodders, firstly what is the date of manufacture of your vehicle. I’ve just done this for my Lancia Beta Coupe.

From memory you tax the car in the usual way but fill out the registration document and in section1 ( could be section7 depending on age of V5c but it’s the change of vehicle details section anyway) change the tax class to historic. Take it to the Post Office, they do their bit and send the V5c to DVLA and a few weeks later it comes back in the post.

That is all that I did for a car that had not been taxed since 1978! Apart from the change of ownership bit when I bought it in 2017.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim. My TR7 was not registered until mid 1982 but I do have the British Heritage certificate confirming that it was in fact built in July 1981. I imagine that I probably will need to apply directly to the DVLA rather than present it at the post office.

R.

I just phoned DVLA and having negotiated all the options got a very nice man who told me what to do. Couldn’t believe it was so simple. I was always concerned that the car had been off the DVLA radar for 39 years.

Tim

2 hours ago, modelbuilder said:

Hi, I have tried to access this info via the search facility without success. I’m sure that it has been covered before but I’d appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this already.

Rodders.

This is what I did:- had a read through Info

Then fill in This and This and send it to DVLA with your V5 and and Heritage Certificate. I’m pretty sure unfortunately you won’t be eligible to have Historic classification until January next year. Take photo copies of everything. I received my V5 back with historic classification and taxed for a year all doe within 3 weeks.

Good Luck, if I can help any further please let me know.

Thanks Kev. I think that answers my question. I don’t think that it will actually be free until April 2022 but that’ll be fine with me.

The MOT will still need to be done each year because the car is far from being unmodified but I’m happy about that.

Rodders.

Edited by modelbuilder

Rodders/Steve you are correct, it is April. Sorry my mistake.

My Lancia was first registered by DVLA in May 1981 but after a bit of digging and the help from the Betaboyz forum and the DVLA expert from Lancia Motor Club it was confirmed that the date of manufacture was April 1979. So I’m very happy it’s now classed as Historic and hopefully will get to drive on the road this year very soon.

Edited by Kevo_6