Steering UJ play

Hi - hopefully just a quickie this time!

I've taken the steering column off for straightening (it was a little out of true! - any ideas how this may have happened, or don't I want to know? :( ) as part of the changing the lower steering bush procedure. I've taken the UJ off for a clean up. Can anybody advise as to how much free play is acceptable/legal in the joints, please? Also, is it really true that the polyeurathane bush will fit into that little hole? I've had the beggar in hot water and my thumb is raw with pushing - still can't get it in! Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing lots of folk at the International. I'll be the guy in a blue VW Sharan with the twin boys - afraid it looks like the TR7 won't quite be ready for the epic journey this year :(

Many thanks, again!

Kevin

Kevin

This may be obvious, but the bush will only fit when there is no column through the hole, you have to kind of squeeze it into a heart shape to get it in. Long nose pliers work for this! It will recover, honest!

For the UJ, then there should be no play in it at all. If there is play this will make the steering wheel have loose play, so it ends up like an American movie car, as any play in the UJ is magnified at the wheel.

These joints are not too expensive so I recommend replacing them often, as the proximity to the exhaust manifolds seems to roast the grease out of them! If you have them apart already then you are halfway there.

Cheers

Andy.