Flushing The Coolant System

Gentlemen

I am about to flush out the cooling system in my TR4, I have purchased a 500ml container of Fernox F3 enough for a 16 radiator central system do I use all of it or just a portion, if so how much ?

Cheers Chris

• 2 years later...
On 3/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, Chris Hubball said:

Gentlemen

I am about to flush out the cooling system in my TR4, I have purchased a 500ml container of Fernox F3 enough for a 16 radiator central system do I use all of it or just a portion, if so how much ?

Cheers Chris

Does fernox work or I’ve heard rd some people use a dishwasher tablet? 

I use Tesco Washing Soda, it's about £2 per kilo and works well

I drain the system., then fill with a strong solution of soda and water and drive the car for a few days then flush with water.

George 

I don’t think there are many things that DON’T attack the thermostat housing!:ph34r:

If you flush and back-flush thoroughly and often enough ( when changing the anti-freeze, say every two years ) is it necessary to use chemicals?

james

I recently used Prestone Cooling System Flush and was amazed at the crud that came out. The heater now gets really hot. 

Mick

3 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

I recently used Prestone Cooling System Flush and was amazed at the crud that came out. The heater now gets really hot. 

Mick

sounds good that Mick is it fit run then flush ???

On 2/4/2024 at 3:03 PM, SirHector said:

Does fernox work or I’ve heard rd some people use a dishwasher tablet? 

I believe the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club recommend one of the Fernox products.

Pete

On 3/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, Chris Hubball said:

Gentlemen

Cheers Chris

Fernox state that "overdosing is not detrimental" so I would assume the same applies to a car's cooling system.

The product used by R-R owners is Fernox Alphi II, which is a combined antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor rather than a cleaner.

I think I'll stick to de-ionised water and Bluecol.

Pete

Why experiment with dishwasher tablets when there are tried and tested flushing compounds available? Would you expect a dishwasher tablet to bring rust into circulation? Likewise scale - in a dishwasher it just has to inhibit the scale that forms in a single wash, which may be little if there is an inbuilt water softener.

Fernox products may work as there are similarities between the components of a central heating system and a car's cooling system. But again there is no claim from the manufacturer.

The RR club suggested use of Fernox coolant again relates to the similarities and also the lesser toxicity compared to regular automotive antifreeze.

20 hours ago, dblenk said:

sounds good that Mick is it fit run then flush ???

Yep. Fill, run, drain, flush, run, drain. I then used 50/50 Prestone antifreeze/water.

Mick

On 2/5/2024 at 8:41 PM, stillp said:

Fernox state that "overdosing is not detrimental" so I would assume the same applies to a car's cooling system.

The product used by R-R owners is Fernox Alphi II, which is a combined antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor rather than a cleaner.

I think I'll stick to de-ionised water and Bluecol.

Pete

At the risk of inviting trouble…..I have been using Fernox Alphi ll for the last couple of years and at the moment everything seems good.  The coolant (50/50) is still crystal clear, the engine temperature when running stays where it should even in very hot weather and to date I haven’t needed to top the system up. Long May it continue.

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

At the risk of inviting trouble…..I have been using Fernox Alphi ll for the last couple of years and at the moment everything seems good.  The coolant (50/50) is still crystal clear, the engine temperature when running stays where it should even in very hot weather and to date I haven’t needed to top the system up. Long May it continue.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian - how long does it last?

Cheers Darren

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Rgds Ian

Same as my situation. Drain rad every couple of years or so, flush through with distilled water & refill with water & Bluecol 50/50 & all appears to run well with a pale blue colour in the rad!

13 minutes ago, DRD said:

Hi Ian - how long does it last?

Cheers Darren

I'm hoping it will last for longer than the two years recommended by Bluecol.  My recollection from the original Rolls Royce OC report (I don't have it in front of me) is that Fernox has a life of about 10 years.

Rgds Ian