Strange Oil Pressure

No, constant rpm and it will suddenly drop. May only do it once or twice on a 30 minute run. All 3 sets of PRV parts gave approximately the same psi reading. They were all standard springs and no washers.

Thanks 

Hi Colin3511,

As you have a too high cold oil pressure I would look at dumping the 20W50 and use something more suitable? 0/5W40 would be more suitable? Oil change will not fix your "problem" though.

Can you Tee in a mechanical gauge to confirm that the drop is true? I hope its an electric gauge problem.

Cheers,

Iain.

Is 100 psi too high? Ran it with mechanical and electronic gauge side by side and they mirror each other.

Pedestal clearance checked when distributor was rebuilt by DD. Interested to know why you think of that though - oil pump disengaging?

Thanks

14 hours ago, colin3511 said:

Is 100 psi too high? Ran it with mechanical and electronic gauge side by side and they mirror each other.

Pedestal clearance checked when distributor was rebuilt by DD. Interested to know why you think of that though - oil pump disengaging?

Thanks

100psi is way too high and will promote oil leaks and consumption. Pedestal clearance can make a difference in a couple of ways, too little will wear the cam drive and put pressure on the oil pump drive and too much can mean insufficient engagement in oil pump drive and chatter on the cam drive. Thats why you need to set it correctly.

Stuart.

Just for information, as i know it is not ‘correct’, my tr6 engine registers 100psi for the first few minutes arter a cold start and then drops to 70

it has done this all the time i have owned it, which is just under 10 years and 25k miles

i think the intermittent pressure drop when hot is much more of a cause for concern

steve

I agree, high oil  viscosity and  a high warm up idle setting pushes my cold pressure to levels similar to yours for a few minutes. It's the pressure drop when running normally that could destroy your engine if it gets worse.