TR4 steering rack length

Hi all, on my new rebuild (mark 2, productivity is up this year :D) I scrapped the old early chassis as it was full of rust and I picked up a good late tr4 chassis, I intend to use all the old running gear but I need to change the steering rack which I have obtained. I read about the different lengths and when compared side by side the later one is shorter, can I use the old pin and balls so that it is compatible with the old steering gear ? 

Regards

Ron

Its the length of the inner rod ends that makes the difference, If your using a late TR4 chassis you need the late housing and the long inner rods.

Stuart.

As a slight drift I just want to add that in just about every post I’ve looked at tonight in the 4/4A and Technical forums Stuart has posted a helpful response.   Thanks Stuart for passing on your experience and knowledge to all.   It also keeps us all going in these difficult times.

Paul

13 hours ago, Malbaby said:

As a matter of interest, where are the chassis different that necessitates changes in the R&P length.

Yes the early TR4 rack is mounted higher than the later one.

Stuart.

The early TR4 rack is mounted on a pair of uprights (see photo). 

Disregard the pair of braces dropping downwards from the cross tube - that is a strengthening modification devised by Ray Henderson for the Works' TR4 Rally cars.

The U bolts for the rack clamp where the pairs of bolts are seen here. 

Ray's modification makes the mounting extremely strong, but getting the nuts onto the U bolts is not easy, even for someone with small hands!

Ian Cornish

1992 Chassis prep at CTM 6-1280.jpg

2 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

Hi Stuart, if the old rack needs to be longer because it is mounted higher does that mean if I use a later chassis and a later rack to suit it wont need the inner rods changing ?

Regards

Ron

No there is several different racks and you need the right one to suit application, see here Steering racks

Stuart..

Fit what you want, just adjust the bump steer afterwards. The original geometry is c r a p anyway.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey