TR5 rear valance

Hi to all. Has anyone bought a rear valance for a tr5 and found that the pressing was defective and needs sorting. I have recently bought two and both are defective. See the photos. Has anyone had this problem. If not where did you buy them? Cheers Clem

32897ED1-6FE6-4268-A324-DA2FDE2CA069.jpeg

A8FD4A77-E615-4D92-94D6-A0026CEA3CD9.jpeg

These are the Bastuk ones I believe Clem.

They so much better than the ones from the usual suspects.

I used one on a TR4a around four years ago and it seemed to have fitted better than the one I  recently  fitted to my then TR4. Might pay to speak to Rainer (Bastuk) in Germany. He speaks English.

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5
grammer

I bought one from Moss some time back, after a little shut in the back while on holiday in Germany, the garage doing the repair did have a bit of a problem fitting it, but was done, not sure how, but painted afterwards so not sure exactly what they did, hope the picture might help.

John  

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

Hi yes I guessed it was a bastuck panel they now come without the reversing light holes in them! The problem is that when you offer up the panel the boot fits but it’s the 6mm difference between the two sides so either one is too small and one is too big but which is the question.  I am sure it can be fettled but one wouldn’t buy a pair of jeans with one leg longer than the other for top money and be expected to shorten them yourself once you got home. 

I

2 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

If it's any consolation I fitted a Stanpart Labelled one back in 1983( off the shelf from a Triumph main dealer!!), and that required a load of lead on one side and corner to fit with the original boot lid.  

As they did when new!

Stuart.

1776985371_MarksTR5374.thumb.jpg.e6e26dba523d1ee4483af5d199f2d305.jpg1041093490_MarksTR5377.thumb.jpg.99966001c0cdc538693e1a3463084850.jpg

I took a welding torch to a small rust hole near the horozontal rear seam on my original bodywork TR4 and suddenly lost about 6mm of the edge as a block of lead detatched and hit the floor. The panelwork underneath showed the pressings to be well adrift with one another but the fit recovered with generous lead loading, not unusual for 50s and 60s cars. Was it you that said an E type 2+2 needed 164 lb of lead in it Stuart ?

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I took a welding torch to a small rust hole near the horozontal rear seam on my original bodywork TR4 and suddenly lost about 6mm of the edge as a block of lead detatched and hit the floor. The panelwork underneath showed the pressings to be well adrift with one another but the fit recovered with generous lead loading, not unusual for 50s and 60s cars. Was it you that said an E type 2+2 needed 164 lb of lead in it Stuart ?

Mick Richards

Actually it was an XK 150 that had 140lb of lead in it from the factory, all Jaguars from that era had loads, AFIK the last cars to use it was mk4 Cortinas.

Stuart.

Understand all of  the comments but I am with Neil on this one I don’t want to lead load it. I have a friend who can fit  the panel but why should we put up with what I think is a “seconds” panel pay nearly £500 for the privilege and then have to fettle it. Don’t want to lead it, fill it with body filler or anything like that I just want a proper job. I kick myself as it would have been better to sort the original although in a bad way it may have been more economical than the heap of rubbish supplied. Grrrrr!

14 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Understand all of  the comments but I am with Neil on this one I don’t want to lead load it. I have a friend who can fit  the panel but why should we put up with what I think is a “seconds” panel pay nearly £500 for the privilege and then have to fettle it. Don’t want to lead it, fill it with body filler or anything like that I just want a proper job. I kick myself as it would have been better to sort the original although in a bad way it may have been more economical than the heap of rubbish supplied. Grrrrr!

I would lead it, the factory would have done this with a poorly pressed panel rather than waste it, Leading is a perfectly acceptable repair and I have restored 5`s that had lead in them from new.

Stuart.

When I was looking for an original rear valence in late 90s for my TR5 complete reshell (all new inner tub) a member contacted me where he knew one was. It cost me lunch and a few beers to be introduced to the owner and a deal was done. Brought it home and so lucky for me it fitted perfectly. Took me three years of searching but oh so worth it. The owner knew how much it was worth and I paid it with out question. Years later I did a TR4a and needed that very part again. Bastuk was only thinking about manufacturing it then. I bought one off a rally guy who had a batch made and that fitted perfectly and well pleased. Shame that the Bastuck ones are not quite right but hell of a commitment in producing panel work for our TR,s which have been out of production well over 50-60 years ago. We are so lucky.

Regards Harry

Just out of interest I've been out and measured my car at the same point (remembering, StanPat panel and leaded to meet the boot lid)

and :- nearside 3 and 1/4",  ,,,, offside 3"

don't forget some of the dimension there is dictated by the lamp housing and how it lines up with the outer wing.

Rob any chance of a photo to see how it looks as I don’t have any references to work to. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the rear valance, they were supplied to moss from Germany.  They were manufactured using original presses which appear to be worn out. At the moment there isn’t an alternative supplier making these items,, so basically it’s take it or leave it. IMHO the part does not justify the price as I consider these to be what we would call in the day “seconds”.Let’s face it you wouldn’t pay £500 on a pair of Gucci jeans to find that you had one leg longer than the other and the store said you had to adjust them yourself to fit , would you ? 

22 minutes ago, elclem1 said:

Update on the rear valance, they were supplied to moss from Germany.  They were manufactured using original presses which appear to be worn out. At the moment there isn’t an alternative supplier making these items,, so basically it’s take it or leave it. IMHO the part does not justify the price as I consider these to be what we would call in the day “seconds”.Let’s face it you wouldn’t pay £500 on a pair of Gucci jeans to find that you had one leg longer than the other and the store said you had to adjust them yourself to fit , would you ? 

True but in the absence of anything else unless you could make one yourself then unfortunately you have to work with what you can get, I get this everyday of the week and have done for more years than I care to remember.

Best get the lead out.

Stuart.

i had one of these fitted which came from moss, british heritage panel i think. Took the skill of a magic panel man but he did get a good result. No way would it have fitted as delivered.

Were these not in the pipeline from Bastuk ?

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

i had one of these fitted which came from moss, british heritage panel i think. Took the skill of a magic panel man but he did get a good result. No way would it have fitted as delivered.

Were these not in the pipeline from Bastuk ?

Apparently that was a Bastuck one in the OP.

Stuart.

Then thats sad as i probably along with several others were hoping for at last a good panel.

Going by Bastuck wings i lived in hope.

Roy

I did use a Bastuck one on my recent  project TR4 and yes it did fit where it touches but a skilled panel beater (like Stuart) would not faze him/them and soon have it right.

I just feel fortunate that companies are still investing in our hobby all these years later.

Regards Harry

20200311_165103_resized.jpg

It not the fact that it can be fitted by a skilled person like Stuart. If you have someone to hand that’s great but you still have to pay them to do the work!