Never heard of them 

perhaps have a search on here there is loads of opinion on tyres for our TR’s

No personal experience I’m afraid, I have looked in The past for info on these but most forum enquiries don’t seem to answer the question :) 

tyreleader does have a rating or them, but little more than average overall.

Hopefully others will have practical experience of these which could guide you.

good luck with the hunt..... Andy 

(ps. I’m running Vredesteins t-trac 2’s, they are great apart from the sidewall which Could look better)

I'm running the Vredestein T-Trac 2 as well, but I don't believe they are available any more.  The Continental CT22 would be my choice now.  I'm assuming you are sticking with the 165/80 R15 size.  I do know of one major TR restorer and dealer who supplies the Nankang tyre as their standard.  Of course you could go for the MIchelin or Pirelli 'classic' tyres if you have well over £1k .

Never heard about the tyres you mention. I use Nankangs. Apart from the name, they are OK. Less noisy and more economical than the Michelin classics that I had before. Performance wise, I cannot compare, as the Michelin’s had been there for too long and they were very degraded, so these were a big improvement, but not sure how the would have done against another brand of new tyres. On the dry they go well, very predictable and reasonably good grip. I really don’t drive a lot on the wet, as weather in Spain is generally dry and I can therefore pick my driving days, but in the occasional storm, they were OK... not that I was ripping it in those circumstances, though...

Sorry, never heard of them. I'm on Vredestein Sprint Classic's (nicer side wall :ph34r:

https://www.vredestein.co.uk/classic/news/vredestein-sprint-classic-in-top-tyre-test/

The Germans love a tyre test !

Other makes are available . . . . . . 

Edited by North London Mike
10 hours ago, carbidave said:

Hi , I am coming to the end of a rebuild on my 4A and I am trying to make a choice of tyres both size and make. Does anyone have experience of the Dimax Radar Classic? I like the appearance of them but would like to know if they are any good.

Thank you

I have gone for these on my 3a but have not yet had chance to drive them. I liked the more "period" appearance of them and don`t intend to do any racing on them. I have TR6 wires so went for 185s so grip levels might be up a bit on 165s.

I have to admit I have had many Chinese tyres on different vehicles over the years and cannot honestly say I have noticed them to be any worse than european tyres. In fact my new Ducato van did not manage to wear one of the Goodyears out it was fitted with, all of them developed eggs on the treads one after the other at about half worn. The chinese "Mohawks" that replaced them were never a problem and I had 3 sets before the van went at 175000 miles.

Ralph

Hi,

I had intended to use Vredestein -T-trac2's on my TR4A restoration, but at Xmas time I was told they Vredestein were no longer going to make them. So I chose Nankang 165/80 15, ordererd from Camskill on the 24th Dec, delivered on the 27th Dec, total coat for 5 inc delivery £202. 

Great price and now fitted look good. Have not driven the car yet, but as I'm not a boy racer (too old:D) I am sure they will give good service based on others feedback.

Rich

Thanks all for your input, it is so useful to have information from people who have actual experience. I have always been a bit anti far-eastern tyres but I guess this is just prejudice - I see that many major tyre manufacturers now have plants in China. The next problem is size !

Any opinions on 185/70 both for appearance and rolling circumference?

Thanks again

Dave

When I changed form 4½" to 5½" rims (TR5 to TR6) on my TR3 I assumed I would need to up the width of my tyres from 165 to 185.

In the end I didn't, just moved them over, & they look great. 165 was the standard size for UK TR6's, but 185 used for US exports.

Bob.

23 hours ago, qkingston said:

Just ordered 5 x 195/65/15 T-Trac2 from Demon Tweeks at £40 per tyre, so they are still available

Rgds

David

David -

They are not available in 165/80R14 size - have had to order Michelins, as Vredestein HQ confirmed that they have deleted the production of the T-Trac2 165's...

Mark

I have put Vredestein Classic Sprint 165HR15 86H on my 5. Think that they suit the car, no idea what they drive like and they weren't cheap!

Tim

IMG_6030s.thumb.JPG.6f40439812edd423f866b8b01c42fcbe.JPG

23 hours ago, qkingston said:

Just ordered 5 x 195/65/15 T-Trac2 from Demon Tweeks at £40 per tyre, so they are still available

Rgds

David

Demon Tweeks accepted my order for T-Trac2 a couple of years ago, charged my credit card, strung me along for 3 months with promised delivery dates, then when challenged to "put up or shut up", cancelled the order and refunded the payment. Camskill delivered promptly, and didn't take payment immediately.

I'll never use Demon Tweeks again.

Pete

13 minutes ago, mrehke said:

David -

They are not available in 165/80R14 size - have had to order Michelins, as Vredestein HQ confirmed that they have deleted the production of the T-Trac2 165's...

Mark

Mark,

Have I lost the plot ? is the tyre purchase for a Stag or other car with 14" wheels...or just a typo.

Mick Richards

19 hours ago, stillp said:

Demon Tweeks accepted my order for T-Trac2 a couple of years ago, charged my credit card, strung me along for 3 months with promised delivery dates, then when challenged to "put up or shut up", cancelled the order and refunded the payment. Camskill delivered promptly, and didn't take payment immediately.

I'll never use Demon Tweeks again.

Pete

Pete, thanks for hint. I cancelled Demon Tweeks and re-ordered with Camskill @£37 per tyre!

On 3/8/2021 at 8:07 PM, carbidave said:

Hi , I am coming to the end of a rebuild on my 4A and I am trying to make a choice of tyres both size and make. Does anyone have experience of the Dimax Radar Classic? I like the appearance of them but would like to know if they are any good.

Thank you

here is a test review for the DiMax  https://www.tyretest.com/web/pages/summer-tyres/radar/dimax-classic

They sound awful.

The cheaper Nankang Econex are not much better for our cars.

The Vredstein sprint classic are now so expensive it makes Avon's look a good buy

Roger

Edited by RogerH
8 hours ago, RogerH said:

here is a test review for the DiMax  https://www.tyretest.com/web/pages/summer-tyres/radar/dimax-classic

They sound awful.

The cheaper Nankang Econex are not much better for our cars.

The Vredstein sprint classic are now so expensive it makes Avon's look a good buy

Roger

I am running Vredstein sprint classics on my TR6 I am very pleased with them. I think I paid around £105 each fitted. Considering the price for my daily driver I thought they were good value.

Phil

I've ordered the nankangs, will let you know how they feel once I have them fitted. 

I'll upgrade to fancier tyres when my mileage increases. Just short trips to work and back for the foreseeable future but the conti ct22s that are currently on the car are over 10yo and I don't want to push my luck with the boy in the car 

Hi all

I've been very impressed with the Michelin Cross Climate tyre on both my TR4 rally car, our Mk2 Golf GTI, the Mk1 2000 saloon and now my wife’s modern Mini Cooper S. properly good tyres and they work very well all year round. The construction of the tyre is excellent and the quality / balance etc is very good as you would expect.the are about £70 each online.

I would recommend then on a TR without hesitation - I use 175 x 65 x 15  on the TR4 and the saloon with 15 inch wheels on it. 185 x 65 are also available.

regards

Tony