Carpet Press Stud Fittings

Hi All

Seems there are generally two types of carpet ring retainer available, so is there one type better than the other?

I notice in the triangular version, the fixing has a cut in it to allow it to expand when Fitting or removing.

The circular version doesn’t have this cut and therefore potentially harder to remove, and make even pull the dot stud out of its fixing. What did the factory use?

I notice in the latest TR Action I think it was, a concourse competition was decided on a split decision over how clean the engine oil was. Perhaps the correct position and type of fastener could be a future decider! :lol:

Also is there a reasonably priced pair of cutting pliers for underfelt that will cut neat circular holes in 2mm material for dot studs?

Kevin

8C747EC9-B3AC-45FB-ACB5-3E4B850E33A8.jpeg

AF5A698A-CDDB-40D8-9943-E2841C85F9F0.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

To make a punch.

Length of gas pipe the right diameter to match the size of hole you want.  

File the end edge to form a sharp cutting blade.
Place sharp end of tube on the position of item to be cut.

Whack it with an appropriate hammer over a hardwood or lead cutting block to cut the hole you want.

When it blunts resharpen with file.

This sort of cutter has worked fine for me for any years on soft material like carpet 

Peter W

I only use the round version, the triangular end up bent out of shape after a couple of times, The popper part should be screwed or riveted in so shouldnt come off.

Stuart.

Thanks Gents it seems the circular type is the popular choice, and as Stuart says the triangular one is more likely to go out of shape.

Ian the tags can have a tendency to pull out, though once I’ve got the ring in place I remove the carpet section and firmly tap the tags down with a small drift to make sure it locks the retainer. I think if they are not really flattened firmly they might pull through.

The factory parts manual states A/R for these parts but does list a longer stud and screw for when underfelt is used, so assume they used these from the factory ( items 7 @ 8 ) ?

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/underfelt-carpet-fittings-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Thanks for the tip on the underfelt punch Peter, I’ll make one up.

Kevin 

56 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Thanks Gents it seems the circular type is the popular choice, and as Stuart says the triangular one is more likely to go out of shape.

Ian the tags can have a tendency to pull out, though once I’ve got the ring in place I remove the carpet section and firmly tap the tags down with a small drift to make sure it locks the retainer. I think if they are not really flattened firmly they might pull through.

The factory parts manual states A/R for these parts but does list a longer stud and screw for when underfelt is used, so assume they used these from the factory ( items 7 @ 8 ) ?

Kevin 

Have you seen the difference in price for the longer stud?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

Kevin 

Yes they were factory fitted.  To replicate cheaply the use of a 2 BA nut under the press stud is sometimes used to raise the stud through the felt, rather than buy the correct item.  These longer pegs were made of aluminium or latterly black plastic.  611845 is the aluminium item. 

Peter W