Moving Seats Backwards

Hi

Have you tried a more simpler approach of removing seats and removing and inspecting the runners, and try to see if the runners are moving all the way back?  The runners have rollers with rubber grommets and they can get old and jammed.  Seat and runner removal is very easy.

Richard

4 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Seat and runner removal is very easy.

Not as easy as hitting the wheel arch with a big hammer...

(Which I'm half way through doing on my 3A.)

Charlie

Hi Guy,

If you take the seat out and remove the sliding frame you will see the adjusting mechanism has a number or square notches into which the seat slider locates once you release the adjusting lever after selecting your seat position. There is sufficient space to add another set of notches to get your seat circa 25-30mm further back. Drill the holes where you want them and square them out off with a needle file. I made this mod myself when I first got my 6 and it made a difference, allowing much more comfort, particularly if you’re tall, long in the leg or have knackered knees. Not as much as you get with MX5 seats which are in my opinion a much better option but that’s another story.

Might be an option for you. Good luck.

TonyC

^ Charlie  :D

On 3/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, Guy Vinall said:

When I move the seat all the way back, I feel I'm still not far enough back. Has anybody else had similar issues & how did they overcome the situation?

I'm also needing more space, as I'm a little above average (human) in tallness (..don't tell anyone but I'm really a dwarf giant !).  I've read that other Big n' Tall TR owners suggest changing the steering wheel (the amount of dish can make almost as much difference as its diameter) and the style of seats.  The early TR4 seats for example have a slimmer back-rest compared to the later cars.  Again, after-market seats or some of other marques, may also be slim backed &/or have less padding. Some of which are vague copies of racing seats whose aluminium or fibreglass backrests have a curve shape, rather than the TR6 seat which has a stretch diaphragm between its frame tubes, but then relies on a wad of padding for comfort and lateral support. The curved backrests can often be pushed further back. 

If your own circumstance is likewise one of tallness, then removing or altering the padded roll along the bottom of the dashboard will help a little with knee room and getting in & out.  Shoulder width can be slightly improved by removing the capping along the top of the doors.  The early TR4 did not have them.

^ :D

She may jest !  I have absolutely no issue with sitting on the floor.  indeed I used to make kit cars which had a padded bolster but no seat runners so did exactly that, and their seat backs just rested against the rear deck. Tilt them forward for access to the 'boot'.

I'm getting old n' soft though., so I was thinking about using a bean bag instead.  Naturally the cover of that would have to be securely screwed down ..to comply with Construction & Use regulations.

Just another thought on seat travel.  My TR6 had limited rear seat travel, I investigated the runners and they had no spacers underneath the bolt positions.  This caused the sliders to jam before they were fully back as the runners were distorted when bolted down through the carpet. I made some spacers to go under the rails and won back another inch or so of travel.  Enough for me but then I'm only 5'8".