39 minutes ago, roy53 said:

Looks like a nail puller to me.

Are you sure you don’t mean nail “Clipper”

For tall people with short arms so they don’t have to bend too far to cut their toe nails.

Charlie.

3 hours ago, Ransomes256 said:

Are the jaws a clamping face or cutting edge.

Do the jaws move with the top arm or with the slide hammer part or both?

Jaws are clamping rather than cutting I would say and jaws move with the top arm only. Reckon all the clever Chaps who say nail puller are on the mark... But, without trying it, why something so ‘sophisticated’ compared to claw hammer and or crowbar?

57 minutes ago, stillp said:

It can be driven into the wood to grab a nail whose head is flush or slightly below the wood surface.

Pete

I am sure that you are correct. But you need to identify the nails to make it clear to all the others on this thread.  The nails in question are cut nails which are driven below the  surface of the flooring. There is no regular head but the top is made so that there is a reduced width leaving the edge with a ridge which is where the two teeth on the tools locate and the lever can be pushed using the hook part against the floor and the nails come out easily.

It does help if you are saving the floor boards to replace them, while the plumbing is repaired. 

Richard & B