TR5 water pump refurbishment

Hi all, the water pump on my TR5 was replaced before I bought it in 2019 as the pre purchase car inspector I used heard a strange noise. I asked for the faulty pump to be returned to me as it has a grease nipple and may be a period pump. Does anyone know of a company that could refurbish it as a spare? Also, is there a way of confirming that it is a period pump? 

Thanks,

Denis

My original pump on my 5 was done by EP Services. Good price etc.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

I wrote a description anywhere about the 4 cylinder pumps, the 6 cylinder's should be the same.

Most urgent: don't pull the impeller off from the shaft, there is no need at all to do that and this causes you problems.

Ciao, Marco

14 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi all, the water pump on my TR5 was replaced before I bought it in 2019 as the pre purchase car inspector I used heard a strange noise. I asked for the faulty pump to be returned to me as it has a grease nipple and may be a period pump. Does anyone know of a company that could refurbish it as a spare? Also, is there a way of confirming that it is a period pump? 

Thanks,

Denis

Morning Denis

I spoke with Paul from:

E P Services

Unit 1 Central Trade Estate, Cable St, Wolverhampton, WV2 2RJ

Tel 01902 452914

He said he as been trading for 48 years now and thinks he now knows how to refurbish the water pump :D, mine is going off to him in a few weeks time.

Apparently it is cheaper if you don't send the pulley as well, mainly because of postage due to the extra unnecessary weight. I spoke with him last year and think the cost was circa £78 - £80 but be good to check, he has come well recommended in my TR circles.

Trust this helps.

Best wishes, Mike

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I am included to go with EP Services and shall get in touch with them next week. By the way it is the perfect day here in the Brecon Beacons for a drive out in my TR5, a pub lunch perhaps and a bit of fun on the road. Oh well.....

Regards,

Denis

Denis,

This photos (by Derek Graham) is an original water pump for an early TR6 (part No 201316) and maybe (likely) the same as fitted to the TR5, in any event if yours in an original it will have the part number stamped into it and a grease nipple as you mentioned.

Regards, Andrew

Edit: PS:  +1 for EP Services, they've done lots of stuff for me over the years, always do a great job and with a lifetime guarantee. 

P1020210 - Derek.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

I can confirm my 1969 TR6 PI also has a early water pump with a grease nipple. There seems to be a lot of shared parts no doubt due to what was left over in the parts bins when the first TR6's came out of the factory to save a few pounds.

Andy

I believe that this water pump on my 5 is original. Its hard to read but I think that the number is 201316. However in the original parts book item 4 is described as "plug", and that is what appears to be on my unit. So should it be grease nipple or not. What would be the purpose of the plug.

Confused of Dorset,

Tim

1519701431_20210307_172501(002).thumb.jpg.dadf9f1f64818805cfc31780e646e204.jpg1651116793_Inked20210307_173558(002)_LI.thumb.jpg.281622ecfa9271029177368a1679de47.jpg

Hi All,

I am pleased to confirm that the pump and pulley are genuine parts. The number cast on the housing is indeed 201316 and marked on the pulley is 133239, which according to Moss is the correct part number.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions!

Regards,

Denis