My 84 year old fishing boat

My local electricity adviser has gone awol so I appeal for advice. I have been working on the Yanmar engine - cleaning the heat exchanger - and had to remove some wires on the (Hitachi?) alternator to gain access.

I thought I had taken some photos before I busted it apart but they ain’t any good

Who can tell me which of the two terminals accepts which wire red & black?

My grateful thanks if you can help!

james

D2587B8D-82CD-42B7-9584-1F35D0FDEB4C.jpeg
Edit - the photo is upside down!

Edited by james christie

Is this it James?

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/new80ampalfo.html

Cheers

Peter W

PS If black is earth and Red power to the battery the following pic may help.

image.png.4946106ba8719c711d5ca436fe230290.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Peter, not quite identical but very similiar. 
Question for those that know about these things:

Should the terminal that accepts the black wire have continuity with the casing?
In which case could I use a resistance meter to decide which one it is?

For Kiwican a photo of the vessel, t’is the blue one

james

D2672E9F-6EDF-4AFD-91E4-82D9C4E54882.jpeg

Some Hitachi alternators apparently have the internals isolated from the case so there may not be continuity. 

46 minutes ago, james christie said:

Thanks Peter, not quite identical but very similiar. 
Question for those that know about these things:

Should the terminal that accepts the black wire have continuity with the casing?
In which case could I use a resistance meter to decide which one it is?

For Kiwican a photo of the vessel, t’is the blue one

james

D2672E9F-6EDF-4AFD-91E4-82D9C4E54882.jpeg

That is a truly lovely boat. 
I remember fitting  the hard stand legs to dads really early boats when brought out in the winter as he had a deep water mooring on the Dart at Kingswear. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Some Hitachi alternators apparently have the internals isolated from the case so there may not be continu

Oh well that has shot my idea down from a great height!!

Bit of thread drift:   She is a Carantec cutter, the brave souls who had her built, like their peers went out fishing in the Channel with sails only, in all weathers. I've traced all her owners from 1937. No written proof, but she is said to have carried several Bretons to England to answer the call of the General in 1940. 
The photo is taken on her wintering beach 3km from my house. 16th century tidal mill in background

james

Wow RobH! Thanks for the sleuth work yes it looks very similiar to mine. Now I shall have to go and connect it up. If there is a later appeal for crowd funding on here, you’ll know I got it wrong, Hitachi alternators bought as spare parts are seriously expensive - even if Yanmar just about give away engines as OEM!!

james

10 hours ago, james christie said:

. . .  a photo of the vessel, t’is the blue one

What a beauty, James. Very nice.

9 hours ago, Hamish said:

I remember fitting  the hard stand legs to dads really early boats when brought out in the winter as he had a deep water mooring on the Dart at Kingswear. 

In my 20s, I was living just up the river from you Hamish, near Sharpham House.

Friends there had a 30ft 1939 motor-sailer : a wonderful little boat, and perfect for the Dart.

Dar2A.jpg.d9008c3e066015d1bffed854589ed09b.jpg

When he wasn't off filming somewhere and championing UK fishermen, we'd head round to Keith Floyd's place on the waterfront at Tuckenhay, and pop in for a few bottles.

Cheers, Deggers

Many happy regattas on the dart and remember  when the red arrows would go lower than mast height !!!!!!!  

A1BB61BD-B00E-4D64-A0BD-34C59A9CCC78.jpeg

23 hours ago, james christie said:

Bit of thread drift:   She is a Carantec cutter, the brave souls who had her built, like their peers went out fishing in the Channel with sails only, in all weathers. I've traced all her owners from 1937. No written proof, but she is said to have carried several Bretons to England to answer the call of the General in 1940. 
The photo is taken on her wintering beach 3km from my house. 16th century tidal mill in background

Yes a wonderful thread drifts with great photos B)

I hope your alternator wiring query has been answered, because I like the way this is going :D

The wintering beach 3km from your home is a little different to the mud berths we have here in East Anglia. My boat is 'on the hard' in a very stony marina within windfall of a scrap yard and upriver offloading docks for gravel.   I can see my coming down to Brittany ..via the River Dart,  pretty soon. 

If I may ask, Is it still possible to buy a renovation property at a very low price in Breizh, and are Englishmen welcome after Brexit ?

At the risk of upsetting the censors with several subjects that have nothing to do with the title of this forum::o

Haven’t hooked the alternator up yet but thanks to RobH’s work I am confident.....

Plenty of mud berths here if you like that sort of thing. Getting to my (summer) mooring (290€ per year!) is a sticky challenge 2 hours either side of low water. If you want to know more Google  « Golfe du Morbihan ». Quite a few Brits and others, overwinter their boats on the river Vilaine at Foleux, La Roche Bernard.

The low cost housing market is no longer my thing but I would imagine that there are still the odd pile of stones available where nobody wants to live - probably well into the interior. There are some villages only inhabited by Brits who keep themselves to themselves and want nothing to do with the local culture .....or language.

That said, many have sold up and returned to the UK, unable to live on their lower value GBP - still over valued by some 15% in my view. 

Oh, and don’t start me on the cost of housing in the UK.......

james

James,  I would have happily put up with the change in value of the pound and moved to the continent - especially after the Brexit vote - if it weren't for the small matter of grandchildren.  We have six of them and my wife would never accept living in another country to them.

Rgds Ian

Maddy's brother (my brother-in-law) has lived in Paignton for over 40 years and tells me that he has watched the Red Arrows perform regularly.

Some years ago, before regulations on air displays were tightened, he tells me that he was watching from Jawbone Hill, above Kingswear.  The jets approached from Totnes flying low, and were inaudible until they were almost upon the ferry crossing, at which point they shot upwards and over Jawbone Hill, showering Nigel with "rain".

Spectacular!

Ian Cornish

44 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Those old boats are great to look at.

Free advice from one who knows. -  just stick to looking!
Like the Americans say when you buy a boat you also buy a bottomless hole in the ocean for your cash......even if you do most of the maintenance yourself.

james