Morning all,

I've been asking around because I'm looking to buy a used  TR4A tonneau cover ..for me to drive solo with the passenger seat covered.  One kind gentleman is seeing if he has one for me, and another has suggested that one from a TR6 ought to be very similar but for the stud positions ..particularly those under the windscreen.  Has anyone swap the steering wheel pocket of a tonneau from left to RHD successfully, and if done by a professional trimmer can you give me an indication of cost ? 

Otherwise any general advice on what to be wary of ? 

Secondly, I was wondering about the type of outdoor car covers which just cover the windscreen, hood and side windows, rather than the complete car.  Are they convenient to use in real life and do they keep the car dry inside ?  Can the vent flap be left open under the cover to allow air to circulate within.?  And are specific press stud or lift-a-dots needed ? 

Many thanks indeed.

Pete.    

Hi Pete,

If you try to swap the steering wheel pocket from one side to the other, isn't there bound to be an unsightly (and possibly leaky) repair needed over the pocket's old location? My inclination would be to wait and watch eBay etc until the correct handed tonneau appears.

As for the cover, I use a Classic Additions car cap on my TR6 and BMW Z3:

https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/outdoor-car-covers/waterproof-outdoor-half-car-cover/prod_10074

Size XS is a good fit. It's really best used for light showers, or as a precaution when parked during days out or overnight when touring. I wouldn't recommend it for prolonged storage or heavy storms. The vent flap can be left open; I normally tuck the front edge of the cover under the wiper  blades.

Nigel

Just add another steering wheel pocket. 
yes it’ll look like a dual control car but may be a cheaper option. 

As LNK has a Surrey I can't speak to the tonneau cover. However, I can recommend a turret cover for additional protection whilst on tour, away from the garage.

Additional weather storm protection, UV damage and security (if they can't see it, they're unlikely to try to steal it). Home made, the wife made a pattern, wouldn't be without it B)

Cover.jpg

Edited by North London Mike

Thanks guys, for £50 I think that's a no brainer.  Must admit I prefer the fit of yours Mike than that in shown in the galley of classicadditions.  

Cheers.  Pete.

Hi Pete,

Tonneau covers.    All TR4-6 covers are the same basic shape before the fasteners are fitted.  This of course exempts LG to rh drive and late TR 6 with head rest pockets.

I obtained years ago a Rhino cockpit/roof cover from the mgmowners club that works very well on a my TR. I also use in winter time to cover the screen and side windows on my euro box if it is going to be frosty.   Bit  bulky for stashing in the boot of a TR though.

Not cheap!

https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGB_CARCOVERS.html

F4CE2FF3-CA53-488A-B985-AC5A939423E4.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, North London Mike said:

As LNK has a Surrey I can't speak to the tonneau cover. However, I can recommend a turret cover for additional protection whilst on tour, away from the garage.

Additional weather storm protection, UV damage and security (if they can't see it, they're unlikely to try to steal it). Home made, the wife made a pattern, wouldn't be without it B)

Cover.jpg

Super idea to use the door handle and fuel-filler to locate the cover, the longer straps going to the wheels or underneath (which i have on mine) are alway a concern for paintwork rubbing.

Do you have something similarly creative to hold down by the windscreen? Any pics?

...... Andy 

Hi Andy

Yes, Velcro straps onto wiper arms, same as those used for the door, Halfords !  So five attachment points, both wipers, both doors and the fuel filler. On (or off) in under a minute with a co-pilot, very secure. Other benefit is that it rolls up to almost nothing and you can use one of the attachments as a compression strap......

Cover 2.jpg

Edited by North London Mike
1 minute ago, North London Mike said:

Hi Andy

Yes, Velcro straps onto wiper arms, same as those used for the door, Halfords !  So five attachment points, both wipers, both doors and the fuel filler. On (or off) in under a minute with a co-pilot, very secure

Thanks Mike - that is very helpful, I think I may try and do something similar with my cockpit cover  :) 

...... Andy 

aside from the MG cover fitting ( and thank you Sir for the link to Rhino MG-Midget ), has anyone tried a half cover off an Mx5 ?

rp262_1_1_3.jpg

This looks to be nicely made for £84 from UK custom Covers < here >  They have another style  for five quid cheaper (below) which is held in place by closing doors and boot lid down on its edges.

1466162673_UKCustomcovers.jpg.6259c5b7c6498a1a30871ba2e5e1a438.jpg

and then on e-bay there a cheaper version, again for the MX5 at £32

s-l1600.jpg.0e2185f564d21c192586adc1a70ce57d.jpg

They all seem to have a little slack in their fit, but has anyone tried to see if they'd serve well on a TR4, 4A,  5, or 6 ?

Thanks,

Pete.