TR Battery Replacement

The battery in my TR7 is on it's last legs and therefore I'm looking to replace it.  Currently it has an 015 which seems only to be available from Rimmer's but an unknown make.  I looked in the Leyland Workshop manual and it just says 12v 40Ah

I have a feeling that people use an 038 which I think is what was fitted to the Spitfire and other smaller Leyland products.  As the car lives in a garage I don't need a huge capacity plus the battery life  is compromised by only occasional use anyway!

What do other members use and recommend?

I can get a basic Yuasa 038 for £39.99 via an E bay supplier and I think they make them in South Wales for good measure

Try Tanya batteries, they list an 015 battery and their service is first class

steve

The Bosch S4023 battery fitted my TR7 and comes with a 4 year guarantee. My last one lasted about 6 years of intermittent abuse before it died. Available from Tanya for for about 58 quid.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Steves_TR6 said:

Try Tanya batteries, they list an 015 battery and their service is first class

steve

Agreed Steve, service was good, BUT, aftersales service is appalling.

Bought a new battery from Tanya for my '6'.

It came with a 12 month warranty.

11 months in, it failed.

I emailed Tanya, who offered me 1/12th of the cost, under warranty and asked for the battery back for testing

I returned the battery and they agreed that it was a dud.

Emails back and forth over about 3 weeks, fit for purpose / customer satisfaction etc etc, but, no deal, 1/12th or nothing.

My final email stated that, unless they agreed to a full refund, by reply to this, final email, the next communication on the subject would be a county court summons.

I would be claiming for; the cost of the battery, my court costs, my time and for stress, all of which added a couple of hundred quid to the original cost of the battery.

They agreed to refund the battery cost, in full.

Yes, good price and quick delivery, but, from my experience, a disaster to deal with.

I would not recommend using these people, just too much trouble.

1 hour ago, wjgco said:

Agreed Steve, service was good, BUT, aftersales service is appalling.

Bought a new battery from Tanya for my '6'.

It came with a 12 month warranty.

11 months in, it failed.

I emailed Tanya, who offered me 1/12th of the cost, under warranty and asked for the battery back for testing

I returned the battery and they agreed that it was a dud.

Emails back and forth over about 3 weeks, fit for purpose / customer satisfaction etc etc, but, no deal, 1/12th or nothing.

My final email stated that, unless they agreed to a full refund, by reply to this, final email, the next communication on the subject would be a county court summons.

I would be claiming for; the cost of the battery, my court costs, my time and for stress, all of which added a couple of hundred quid to the original cost of the battery.

They agreed to refund the battery cost, in full.

Yes, good price and quick delivery, but, from my experience, a disaster to deal with.

I would not recommend using these people, just too much trouble.

That’s terrible service I agree

i’ve bought a lot of batteries from them but never had to call cust service

it’s like jnsurance, you never know until you claim......

I returned a Halfords battery after about 2 years of a 4 year warranty.

The chap at the counter didn't bother to test it (what is the point) he phoned Bosch technical and explained the fault - it was dead.

They said replace it as it will not recover.  A new battery was handed over. It all took less than 5 minutes. 

I'm glad they didn't ask me how it became flat.

Roger

Also in praise of halfords batteries ...

the Calcium battery fitted to my car the day i bought it in december 2012 is still going strong !

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Whether kept in a garage or not, get the maximum CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) for your money as CCA capacity is often overlooked or not even considered.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew is dead right.

the Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of how much oomph ( technical term!) the battery can muster when cold, and therefore how strong it is when trying to start the engine on a cold day.

The often quoted Ampere Hours ( AH) is the total capacity of the battery and not very useful, although it would give a measure of how long the battery could run the car in the event of a charging failure.

so find a battery that fits the space, has the right termial orientation, and the most Oomph / CCA

i’d also consider the warranty period, as some sort of quality measure, although as above this might be questionable

steve

I bought my 3A old school battery from Lincon Batteries in Leigh on Sea. They make a many kinds of batteries and have been very reliable. 

I will be after a new one soon but I fail to understand why there is dampness in the battery tray even when the battery is not in use or on charge.

Ask Lincon for a quote,

Good luck Richard & B

On 3/7/2021 at 10:34 AM, Andrew Smith said:

Whether kept in a garage or not, get the maximum CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) for your money as CCA capacity is often overlooked or not even considered.

Cheers, Andrew

On 3/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, Steves_TR6 said:

Andrew is dead right.

the Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of how much oomph ( technical term!) the battery can muster when cold, and therefore how strong it is when trying to start the engine on a cold day.

The often quoted Ampere Hours ( AH) is the total capacity of the battery and not very useful, although it would give a measure of how long the battery could run the car in the event of a charging failure.

so find a battery that fits the space, has the right termial orientation, and the most Oomph / CCA

i’d also consider the warranty period, as some sort of quality measure, although as above this might be questionable

steve

+ another one

CCA is I think one of the most important considerations for even the most modern British built sports car or roadster.

These engines are made of big bits of heavy stuff.

With a decent battery (read high CCA) you get the oomph (Steve is right, accepted technical terminology).