About 6 months ago I upgraded all the fuel hoses in my TR250 to Gates Barricade.

At the same time I decided to change to Grosse jets in the SU float chambers.

Everything has been fine until last Friday when i started to get a terrible fuel smell.

Investigations revealed the float chamber on the rear carb overflowing. Today I’ve had the lid off about 4 times to check everything but no luck.

EventuallIy I changed the jet for the original Viton tipped needle valve and everything fine again.

Should I persevere and get another Grosse jet or stick with needle valves and change back to these on the front carb that is so far working fine?

Nigel

Fit new needle valves, The Grose valves have been hit and miss for a while.

Stuart.

Also may be worth checking your fuel filter is working correctly. I have had similar problems and changed to the more expensive in-line glass canister type with replaceable elements, fitted just prior to the float chambers. Seemed to fix the problem, whereas the cheaper sealed plastic ones don’t always seem to work that well, especially after a winter lay-up.

On mine, I fitted a new fuel tank too, as it was quite rusty with a lot of sediment getting to the float valves, but your tank might well be okay.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
48 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Also may be worth checking your fuel filter is working correctly. I have had similar problems and changed to the more expensive in-line glass canister type with replaceable elements, fitted just prior to the float chambers. Seemed to fix the problem, whereas the cheaper sealed plastic ones don’t always seem to work that well, especially after a winter lay-up.

On mine, I fitted a new fuel tank too, as it was quite rusty with a lot of sediment getting to the float valves, but your tank might well be okay.

Kevin

I had fuel starvation problems with my TR3 on hot days a couple of years ago that turned out to be the nylon element in one of those glass filters closing up with the heat. I also had the filter just before the the front float chamber which ofcourse is directly above the exhaust manifold which didn't help.

The car came to a complete stop miles from home, when I eventually found the problem I threw the element away and the car started straight away with no further problems.

George 

Thanks Stuart, a trip to Moss it is then for new new needle valves.

Have to go there anyway to collect a new drip tray as I am laying plastic floor tiles to smarten up the garage!

Thanks for the extra advice Kevin, I’ve looked at the glass filters but always been worried I’ll smash the glass and be stranded!

The tank is new so hopefully after fitting new valves I’ll be sorted for a few years apart from changing the plastic filter (touch wood as they’ve never caused me any problems) every year.

Nigel

14 hours ago, boxofbits said:

It probably would start straight away George, but when the floats do leak due to debris in the fuel, they are also very close to the exhaust. I’ve done quite a few thousand miles with the glass filter and no issues.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes mine had been on for quite a long time, it was clean and gave no problems untill we were on our way home after a weekend away. It was a glorious sunny day and we had done about 100 miles when the engine died through lack of fuel.

I could see that the glass filter was empty but the glass bowl on the pump was full so I took the glass filter apart to check for rubbish but there was none, I put it back together and the car started and off we went for another five miles when it cut out again so this time I left the filter element out and off we went without any more trouble 

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

Hi Kevin

Yes mine had been on for quite a long time, it was clean and gave no problems untill we were on our way home after a weekend away. It was a glorious sunny day and we had done about 100 miles when the engine died through lack of fuel.

I could see that the glass filter was empty but the glass bowl on the pump was full so I took the glass filter apart to check for rubbish but there was none, I put it back together and the car started and off we went for another five miles when it cut out again so this time I left the filter element out and off we went without any more trouble 

George 

Hi George

They should generally speaking work okay, but obviously your’s didn’t. I wonder if the filter itself had collapsed, as mine has worked perfectly for a long period of time . I wouldn’t think it should be affected by heat as the flow of cold petrol itself should be enough to keep it sufficiently cool, but an inline filter of some sort is a good idea to prevent needle valve or ball contamination. Maybe try a Filter King which is a bit more upmarket with fuel pressure adjustment, and assuming your pump is good?

Regards

Kevin

1 minute ago, boxofbits said:

Hi George

They should generally speaking work okay, but obviously your’s didn’t. I wonder if the filter itself had collapsed, as mine has worked perfectly for a long period of time . I wouldn’t think it should be affected by heat as the flow of cold petrol itself should be enough to keep it sufficiently cool, but an inline filter of some sort is a good idea to prevent needle valve or ball contamination. Maybe try a Filter King which is a bit more upmarket with fuel pressure adjustment, and assuming your pump is good?

Regards

Kevin

There is normally enough filtration with the gauze and the reservoir of the glass filter bowl on the pump on the 4cyl cars. If not you have a tank problem.

Stuart.

28 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Hi George

Regards

Kevin

I agree Kevin normally there is no problems with the glass filters, I posted my experience so that it may help someone stuck at the side of the road on a hot day (if we are ever able to go back on the road).

As it is a TR3 with a nice big glass bowl filter on the pump I have now done away with the inline filter. On my carburettor TR6 with an electric pump I have done what you suggested and use a Filter King.

George 

Edited by harlequin
On 3/4/2021 at 4:32 PM, stuart said:

Fit new needle valves, The Grose valves have been hit and miss for a while.

Stuart.

This must be a more recent quality issue. I replaced the standard valves with Grose jets on my car over 30 years ago. They have outlasted two carb rebuilds, are still functioning perfectly and I confidently expect they will see me out!

Tim

37 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

This must be a more recent quality issue. I replaced the standard valves with Grose jets on my car over 30 years ago. They have outlasted two carb rebuilds, are still functioning perfectly and I confidently expect they will see me out!

Tim

When they first came out which would have been about then yes they were good but over the intervening time they seem to have gone downhill

Stuart.