Mota-Lita Steering Wheel

Guy,

I have the same problem – Im 6ft 6 and genuinely can't drive a TR with a standard wheel. I've got a dished 13.5in Mountney and it solves the issue. The dish in particular helps.

Matt

thumbnail_IMG_2362.jpg

Edited by matt george
Adding a pic

I'm exactly 6 feet tall, so a comparative shorty in this company!

My '6 is fitted with a flat 14" Motolita. It works for me but is quite close to the thighs. Using the telescopic column adjustment to bring the wheel further from the dash helps, and Matt's recommendation of a dished wheel would achieve a similar effect.

Running 6" alloys with 195/65-15 tyres on my car means that any smaller than 14" steering wheel diameter and the steering feels rather heavy.

Nigel

6'2", 14" dished leather.

No problems

My 4A came with a flat 14" Moto Lita, this works with reasonable effort and 185/15 types.

192 cm tall and with long legs/arms my steering is as close as possible to the dashboard.

I tried the original 16" steering wheel - it does not work for me, not with the original and later not with the MX-5 seats.

This is the reason why it is finally decorated at my garage's wall.

Edited by Z320

My 4A has a Momo Prototipo which has been in 3 different cars  over 30 years. Just bought a new boss each time. It has been recovered once. It is 370mm diameter or about 14.6”. Slightly dished. I have MX5 seats and 185/15 tyres on 6” rims. It is very comfortable. 

05CAB46C-B9E6-4934-AC0C-02A4404C6BA9.jpeg

I think my flat wooden Moto Lita is 13, no problems, but I use driving gloves to get «a grip»....

Tr6 with 195 tyres.

Edited by TRseks

I have a Herald steering wheel on my 4a which looks exactly the same as a 4a one but is more dished and on 195s with original (not overstuffed restored) MX5 seats and at 6` 4" I have no problem at all for room. Note my comment on overstuffed seats, I have noticed that when MX seats get recovered they always seem to use too much stuffing in the base which means you sit up higher and obviously have your knees closer to the wheel thus causing this too close to the wheel problem. It also explains why people complain that the Technicalities CD MX5 brackets make the seat too high for them, I have them fitted with no problems either.

Stuart.

photo1752.jpg

I think having the MX5 seats help they certainly look lower the std seats . I have 14” Mota Lita and there’s loads of room

26C724E9-846F-4412-BB66-69339CDD99E4.thumb.jpeg.7a961c276fe7dcea7c224968e622a34d.jpeg

I also found the Mk2 MX-5 seats a big improvement. I’m 6’ and found the seat lower and the steering wheel less obtrusive. The head restraints are a big plus.

I decided against a smaller wheel as easier in tight spots to manoeuvre. I would think they fitted 15” from the factory due to no power steering.

I’ve fitted a Les Leston period wheel which is slightly dished but am looking to have the rim covered for better grip as the original is a bit skinny. Any ideas on who might do this btw?

Kevin

98A2C5D1-559F-48A0-B373-FCD814D4D401.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

Dished works well but there are differences on LH and RH I find more room on RH than LH or maybe just me! 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, matt george said:

Guy,

I have the same problem – Im 6ft 6 and genuinely can't drive a TR with a standard wheel. I've got a dished 13.5in Mountney and it solves the issue. The dish in particular helps.

Matt

thumbnail_IMG_2362.jpg

That does not look like Peterborough ;-)

On 3/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, Paul Hill said:

I think having the MX5 seats help they certainly look lower the std seats . I have 14” Mota Lita and there’s loads of room

26C724E9-846F-4412-BB66-69339CDD99E4.thumb.jpeg.7a961c276fe7dcea7c224968e622a34d.jpeg

Which MX5 seats are tose Paul, later ones eg mk 3 i think ? 

steve

Yes Steve MK3 

34 minutes ago, Paul Hill said:

Yes Steve MK3 

Thanks Paul

i like those seats , could you post a picture showing more of them and how they fit please?

steve

12 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks Paul

i like those seats , could you post a picture showing more of them and how they fit please?

steve

Will do a Steve

On 3/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Guy Vinall said:

Hi all. The easiest option, though not the cheapest was to order the 14 inch Moto-Lita MK3 Off Centre Wooden Steering Wheel, which guarantees the additional leg room clearance. Hoping to sell its predecessor  to get back half the cost!

I'd not seen offset hub as an option. Thanks for bringing it to my notice. 

I guess it would be nuisance, or even impossible in some close confines maneuvers such as tight car-parks, as the wheel turned through 180 degrees would then be noticeably worse than original.

Pete.

This was my solution. First picture is an extra one I made in a GT6. Second picture is my car.  Stock Triumph hub and horn. The added benefit for me is now my right leg is straighter when cruising and my knee doesn’t hurt anymore. I am going to make another in laminated Baltic birch. Down the road maybe another that is a leather rim. 

4B0880F5-EC93-4748-BCDE-E0A7C05DBCFE.jpeg

545C1E42-7023-4C8B-9E8A-6B8B6FE829B0.jpeg

Watch out for cheapo repros, there was a thread describing the rim detaching from 2 spokes- where the pop rivets (yes !!!) were concealed under the leather.

Peter

On 3/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks Paul

steve

Hi Steve sorry it took a while. See if these pics help

7C312DCC-5FBC-407B-9652-4549FAA3C941.jpeg