Gates Barricade Fuel Hose: the ‘VuVuZela’ returns!

The dreaded ‘VuVuZela’ resonance sound has returned in VUX's s/s braided fuel line.  Since 2010 and I’ve gone through two of the Prestige s/s 40” PTFE braided pipes, I've tried removing and refitting and gently 'tapping' the PRV but no joy, so time for a change me thinks!  Set up as below.

I thought I had located a number of local suppliers of Gates Barricade fuel hose https://www.gates.com/gb/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.p.4219-000000-000000.v.4219-5653.html but several telephone calls later, despite being listed on the Gates’ website, they couldn’t supply it or find even it on their parts lists.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier (or elsewhere) or maybe recommend an alternative ethanol proof fuel hose?  I believe the ID of the Prestige hose is 1/4” (or 5/16") so would be looking to increase to 3/8".

Also, my ‘memory’ (not what it was!) tells me the BSP thread size for the hose connectors is 3/8”, is this right or is the dead bit playing tricks?

Cheers, Andrew

P1010002.thumb.JPG.994aebf10becd8522d5a25c1223ef1d1.JPG

Hi Andrew,

I ordered a new hose from Moss, removed the new rubber hose so I had 2 new unions. I then ordered the Gates hose in the US, and a friend from the US brought it to me when he travelled here.

I had the hose crimped on the new fittings by a local hydraulic shop. I’m afraid there is no easier way.

This was some years ago, maybe by now availability of the Gates hose in UK or EU has improved?

Cheers,
Waldi

Weve been through this regarding hoses only a couple of weeks ago and I provided links to suppliers then, You need R14 spec hoses these days.

Stuart.

43 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

Hello Andrew

Moss Europe sell Gates Barricade hose by the metre.

Part number GFH1025X for 1/4" and GFH1031X for 5/16"

Low pressure use only though, no good for PI/EFI supply line.

26 minutes ago, stuart said:

Here you go this is what you need Gates Barricade R14

If you want the full spec its here Gates Barricade

Stuart.

I’ll share a reel of that with you if you like Andrew?

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Here you go this is what you need Gates Barricade R14

If you want the full spec its here Gates Barricade

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart and everyone, lot's of useful tips, advice and links - I did use the search facility but only for 'resonance' so the thread about fuel smell didn't some up. That's said, if I had been a more frequent visitor (as I used to be) I would have not missed that one.  Will have to address that.

34 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

I’ll share a reel of that with you if you like Andrew?

Yes Steve, I'll drop you a PM.

Cheers, Andrew

11 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Thanks Stuart and everyone, lot's of useful tips, advice and links - I did use the search facility but only for 'resonance' so the thread about fuel smell didn't some up. That's said, if I had been a more frequent visitor (as I used to be) I would have not missed that one.  Will have to address that.

Yes Steve, I'll drop you a PM.

Cheers, Andrew

Try Think in West London

https://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/Hoses--Pipes---Fittings.html

Stupid question but >>>>>what causes the resonance issue in the first place?

Looking at the picture would a shorter hose secured to the body stop it or is the resonance generated within the pump itself? 

Andy

Cavitation in pumps can cause vibrations, but flow induced vibrations can have other causes too, like geometry in relation to pulsations and natural (own) frequencies. Difficult to understand. I would follow trial and error, as Andrew is planning.

Waldi

1 minute ago, Waldi said:

Cavitation in pumps can cause vibrations, but flow induced vibrations can have other causes too, like geometry in relation to pulsations and natural (own) frequencies. Difficult to understand. I would follow trial and error, as Andrew is planning.

Waldi

I threw a loop about 1 foot in diameter  in the Gates Barricade return  line between the PRV and the fuel tank.  I use the original Lucas PRV. The loop got rid of the resonance noise. 

Mike,
I have the same parts:
Gates Barricade 8 mm ID with a large bend, and still the original PRV. No resonance. But am still not entirely satisfied with the overall fuel system because of fuel smell and relative high current draw with warns up my fuel quite a bit.

Andrew,
I hope this will give you help your case. Which pump are you running? 

Regards,

Waldi

My smell went when I changed my MU and injector seals to Viton and had the injection system recalibrated- it was running very rich at some points. 

Your pump sounds like it is oversized , if you want to fix that you will have to get another pump closer to  the system's operating point. If fuel temperature worries you, and you want to keep your current pump,  maybe consider a diesel engine fuel cooler  in the MU return line exposed to the  airstream outside of the boot- my Isuzu Dmax has a fuel return heat exchanger between the chassis rails just aft of the cabin- it looks like a tiny radiator..

I found that with my old fuel hose the resonance could be induced or stopped with tiny changes in length between pump and where the hose went through the body (pump is in wheel arch). A small adjustment by pushing or pulling the hose through the grommet was enough. I've changed to the Barricade (appropriate spec) and no resonance, even with a bit of pushing & pulling. Not proof, but I wonder if replacing old, and potentially soft, hose with new stiffer hose was what cured the problem. My 2¢ worth...

John

3 hours ago, Waldi said:

Andrew,
I hope this will give you help your case. Which pump are you running? 

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi,

Its a Bosch (when Bosch was still Bosch and not a 'Bosch type' as now sold) and was fitted in April 2004 by the PO and was on VUX when I bought the old girl back in 2010, the pump hasn't caused any problems since - but the braided hoses have....

Regards, Andrew

21 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Andrew,

I ordered a new hose from Moss, removed the new rubber hose so I had 2 new unions. I then ordered the Gates hose in the US, and a friend from the US brought it to me when he travelled here.

I had the hose crimped on the new fittings by a local hydraulic shop. I’m afraid there is no easier way.

This was some years ago, maybe by now availability of the Gates hose in UK or EU has improved?

Cheers,
Waldi

I did the same. The problem here in the UK it seems to be difficult to obtain cut lengths. I do not want a 50m reel? I still believe that there is an under counter deal between Gates and European Suppliers not to promote their product here in Europe and we will not in the US?

Bruce.

19 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

I did the same. The problem here in the UK it seems to be difficult to obtain cut lengths. I do not want a 50m reel? I still believe that there is an under counter deal between Gates and European Suppliers not to promote their product here in Europe and we will not in the US?

Bruce.

If you read the link info properly youll see its actually a 4.6mtr roll so between 2 or 3 of you that`ll account for it with a bit spare.

Stuart.