steering column wiring

Any advice on where to obtain the wiring that passes down the inside of the one piece TR 2/3 steering column ?

Any tricks/tips on fitting it ?

Roy

Hi Roy,

is there something special about the wire?

I do not know the internals of the TR2/3 column but usually in order to get a cable down a long tube fistly insert a long stiff rod and attach the cable to the rod.

If you are just after quality wiring then perhaps             Cable

Roger

Moss have the column loom:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/wiring-harness-indicators-horn-push-in-column-502355.html?assoc=115921

It's not difficult to make your own if you are so inclined, as it's pretty simple.  

You might need someone to help feed the cable smoothly into the stator tube as you pull from the other end.  

Edited by RobH

Roy,

If you make your own loom it’s best to stagger the position of the bullet connectors otherwise you end up with a bunch of four connectors together, which will not fit down the tube.

When I made mine I used modern “Thin wall” cable as well to make fitting a bit easier.

Charlie.

If (& only if) I were to start again with mine, 1st I would use a relay between the push button & the horns to reduce the current flowing up the wire in the column. Then I would select a 4 core insulated cable (think low current 3 phase power cable or similar) which fitted nicely in the tube. As Charlie says stagger the bullet connectors, as they won't all fit in the tube side by side.   As it is I have the original wires all inside a length of heatshrink, getting a bit tired, but I won't be changing them until I need to, or I have to remove the tube for some other reason.

Bob.

I have just done mine, made up a 4 wire cable and heat-shrunk sleeving onto it. Used thin-wall light gauge as I installed relays to take any load away.

Send a wire down the tube on its own, crimp the end onto the joined up and twisted  4 wire strands and pull the heat shrunk cable down.

The gardest part was connecting to the terminals of the head unit.

John

When I was wiring outside lights and external PIR detector, none of which have earth terminals (double insulated, as often the case nowadays), I needed a cable with 4 insulated cores and overall cover.  I found what I wanted in Wickes' on-line catalogue, and I am pretty certain that this cable would slide down the tube in the TR2/3 steering column.

Unfortunately, it seems that I failed to note the part number of this cable - but it is there somewhere!

Ian Cornish