electric radiator fan

Anybody have recommendations for a electric fan for  "72 TR6

3 hours ago, ed_h said:

I've been happy with a Spal on my TR6.

Ed

Hi Ed

Which spec/Spal did you go for?

Andy

Alicool do Spal fans at good prices ( www.alicool.co.uk) - their new website doesn't list the fans individually ( their old one did) but previously they recommended a VA08-AP10/C/23A for a TR6 which is a large high cfm sucker fan- I had it fitted to an alloy rad with welded on bracketry and with a fan thermo switch fitted in the rad, the extra cost over and above the rad cost was about £100

Some photos attached - PM me if you want more info

Cheers Rich

IMG_2809 - Resized.jpg

IMG_2810 - Resized.jpg

IMG_2812 - Resized.jpg

IMG_2813 - Resized.jpg

Spal. Fitted the highest wattage that fitted. Pulls a lot of amps but works fab. 

9 hours ago, jpmf said:

I got a Revotec kit from Holden (when it was 40% off) but used the thermostat switch fitted in the steel bottom hose bottom hose.

Brackets are handy as they slide in once you have the bolts/nuts loosened on the rad.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/fan_kit_for_triumph_tr5_and_tr6

+1 for the Revotec. Spal also good, and as Tom says, fit the highest rated kit that will fit. Finally a puller rather than a pusher (if you have room)

Cheaper fans available but they won't feel like a bargain when you on the hard shoulder boiling over :huh:

21 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Andy--

It's a 16 inch puller.  If you zoom in to the pic below, you can just about make out the part number.  Some more pics here:  http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-58/TR6-58.html

Ed

IMG_0814a.JPG

Thanks Ed

11 minutes ago, ntc said:

So why are all modern cars pushing?

Good question.  I understand that, all else equal, pullers are a little more efficient.  Must be some other overriding reason.

Ed

I bought an electric fan on ebay look here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Car+radiator+cooling+fan&_pgn=27

I think 14 inch, cost around £25, I fitted it as a pusher, wanted to retain standard fan. I did not bother with a thermostat just a manual switch, rarely need to use it especially since I bought a new radiator! 

Bill

Are you all keeping the mechanical fans as well or do you remove them and rely on the electric fan even when driving normally?

I have an electric fan with a thermostat fitted but since flushing out the cooling system it never operates, even on hot days in slow traffic. Only used in the UK though.

Cheers.

Rob

23 hours ago, ed_h said:

Andy--

It's a 16 inch puller.  If you zoom in to the pic below, you can just about make out the part number.  Some more pics here:  http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-58/TR6-58.html

Ed

IMG_0814a.JPG

This is the same as I used. Works really well! just fit a relay and a good gauge wire to feed it as it pulls a lot of amps.. Just look at the ammeter when it fires up!

11 minutes ago, Rob Y said:

Are you all keeping the mechanical fans as well or do you remove them and rely on the electric fan even when driving normally?

I have an electric fan with a thermostat fitted but since flushing out the cooling system it never operates, even on hot days in slow traffic. Only used in the UK though.

Cheers.

Rob

Hi Rob,

no need for the mechanical fan.  When moving at virtually any speed the airflow will keep the temp sorted.

In stationary traffic the temp will rise and eventually the electric fan will come in and bring the temp down.

If you have an over ride switch them turn the fan on before it is required.

Roger

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rob,

no need for the mechanical fan.  When moving at virtually any speed the airflow will keep the temp sorted.

In stationary traffic the temp will rise and eventually the electric fan will come in and bring the temp down.

If you have an over ride switch them turn the fan on before it is required.

+1. In Sydney, in summer.