Windscreen Surround Re-chrome Plating Who to use

The screen surround etc on my 3A looks ok from a distance but close up the whole assy is tarnished and having spent a small fortune on a bare metal paint job it needs re-chroming.

My pals at RH Classic's always use Derby Plating on their customer cars, the finish is excellent BUT £££££'s

Saw a Coventry Co called Marque Restore on one of the TV car shows the other week, any one used them or can recommend anyone else in the Midlands

Regards Adrian Salisbury  

Unfortunately you do get what you pay for with chroming, its an expensive business now, if you find somewhere cheap its because they skimp on materials. Derby plating are good, I have used S&T in Bristol with good results, dont use Doug Taylor in Weston Super Mare they definitely skimp. Unfortunately my favourites London Chroming are no more.

Stuart.

Thanks to all who replied, looks like i already knew the answer " you only get what you pay for"  so I'll stick with Derby Plating  as i have seen their workmanship at my pal's and when this current situation eases it's only a short drive from Leicester

Regards Adrian

I've used various platers over the years and have never used anyone twice! Either too expensive, they lose something or they think it's OK to keep your stuff for 6 months. However..... I came across Agbrigg Chrome Platers in Leeds and have used them many times. Decent quality, fair price and they turn it around pretty quick. I may have been lucky but its never been more than a couple of weeks. 

Just my experience. They are doing my stanchions and handbrake now! 

11 hours ago, Colin916 said:

I've used various platers over the years and have never used anyone twice! Either too expensive, they lose something or they think it's OK to keep your stuff for 6 months. However..... I came across Agbrigg Chrome Platers in Leeds and have used them many times. Decent quality, fair price and they turn it around pretty quick. I may have been lucky but its never been more than a couple of weeks. 

Just my experience. They are doing my stanchions and handbrake now! 

Just goes to show, I too used Agbrigg once. Suffice to say I won`t be using them a second time. The brass radiator surround came back half its thickness because they had used a linisher to remove the old chrome instead of a removal tank. How do I know?, because they hadn`t removed all the linishing marks before chroming. They were quick admittedly, just a bit too quick I think, and they were cheap at the time, though not now I am told.

If your in Leeds anyway why not use Silchrome, been there since Adam was a lad and used by other chromers because they can do triple plating, whereas many smaller concerns, including Agbrigg, don`t have the cyanide tanks and only do flash chrome.

Anyway, just my experience, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Ralph

6 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Just goes to show, I too used Agbrigg once. Suffice to say I won`t be using them a second time. The brass radiator surround came back half its thickness because they had used a linisher to remove the old chrome instead of a removal tank. How do I know?, because they hadn`t removed all the linishing marks before chroming. They were quick admittedly, just a bit too quick I think, and they were cheap at the time, though not now I am told.

If your in Leeds anyway why not use Silchrome, been there since Adam was a lad and used by other chromers because they can do triple plating, whereas many smaller concerns, including Agbrigg, don`t have the cyanide tanks and only do flash chrome.

Anyway, just my experience, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Ralph

Thanks for that Ralph. I'll wait and see what comes back!