Digital Speedometer

My speedo finally came back from Speedy Cables today, it has been converted to electronic operation. I had fitted the sender unit at the weekend and wired the speedo up this evening, all working fine apart from the voltage regulator. I knew that I wouldn't be able to use a case mounted one so I bought a solid state one, I have earthed its mounting ring but it's not giving me any reading on the car, it works fine tested on the bench, I'll get a standard unit and mount it somehow. Next job is to calibrate the speedo then that's it, hopefully accurate speed readings.speedo2.thumb.jpg.13adbd4af4bade6d8301c6ad73e5006c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Interesting B)  ..just the speedo or has the rev counter been done as well ?

The tacho was done as part of the EFI conversion, I had it converted by JDO. 

3 hours ago, ntc said:

You can now get gps Speedo 

I have one in my GT6 funnily enough, I couldn’t find one the right diameter for the TR though so the conversion seemed the easiest route.

I have an electronic tach and GPS speedo. Had them for about 10 yrs. It seemed easier to do that than fix what was wrong with the cable. Works quite well although sometimes takes a few minutes to find a satellite but I think that is more to do with where the GPS is mounted. It is buried under the dash.

There was an option to go with the sensor rather than the GPS but the GPS seemed less complicated.

All came from West Valley Instruments in the US.

Simon

Edited by kiwican

I've just done the calibration, speedo is now reading correctly. There's a bit of a convoluted process you are supposed to follow, however, as I'd already dispensed with the original sender unit I wasn't able to follow that. I simply drove the car and compared to a  GPS speedometer app on my phone, I then stopped and adjusted the speedo settings and tested again, it took me 4 attempts but I'm comfortable that I am reading correctly at 50, 60 & 70 mph.

Your new speedo looks great Ian. I'm particularly interested because I'm in the process of upgrading the transmission on my 2.5 litre GT6, fitting J-type overdrive and 3.27:1 final drive to replace the original 3.89. I had been thinking about sending the speedo to Speedy Cables for overhaul and recalibration, but an electronic speedo conversion that I can calibrate myself sounds like a great idea.

I didn't realise Speedy Cables offer electronic speedo conversions, as their website only shows info on tacho conversions. Do they supply the electronic speedo conversion as complete kit including the sensor? And do they offer a GPS speedo conversion too? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nigel

46 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Your new speedo looks great Ian. I'm particularly interested because I'm in the process of upgrading the transmission on my 2.5 litre GT6, fitting J-type overdrive and 3.27:1 final drive to replace the original 3.89. I had been thinking about sending the speedo to Speedy Cables for overhaul and recalibration, but an electronic speedo conversion that I can calibrate myself sounds like a great idea.

I didn't realise Speedy Cables offer electronic speedo conversions, as their website only shows info on tacho conversions. Do they supply the electronic speedo conversion as complete kit including the sensor? And do they offer a GPS speedo conversion too? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nigel

My GT6 gauges (pic) are from Speedhut.com Nigel, the speedo is a GPS unit & the tacho is an electronic unit taking a feed from my coil. For the TR I bought a spare standard speedo, this was send to the inaptly named speedy cables who then took 25 weeks to convert it to digital operation, this involves a new rear case and a new face, the internals are all new and the mileometer is a small LCD panel. Speedy don't offer a GPS conversion that I'm aware of, nor do they sell the sender unit that replaces the gearbox speedo drive, that comes from RevingtonTR, they also sell Speedy's converted speedo's but they don't hold stock so you have a long lead time there too.

tacho.jpg

1 hour ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Simon,

Any pictures with them installed ?

Cheers.

Hi Tom,

I dont have any photos but they were the original units converted so look exactly the same except the speedo has a digital odometer, and both needles are rock steady, no more bouncing around.

10 minutes ago, iani said:

My GT6 gauges (pic) are from Speedhut.com Nigel, the speedo is a GPS unit & the tacho is an electronic unit taking a feed from my coil. For the TR I bought a spare standard speedo, this was send to the inaptly named speedy cables who then took 25 weeks to convert it to digital operation, this involves a new rear case and a new face, the internals are all new and the mileometer is a small LCD panel. Speedy don't offer a GPS conversion that I'm aware of, nor do they sell the sender unit that replaces the gearbox speedo drive, that comes from RevingtonTR, they also sell Speedy's converted speedo's but they don't hold stock so you have a long lead time there too.

tacho.jpg

Thank you Ian, very helpful.

I would like to keep the original look of the GT6 instruments, so will probably go for the Speedy Cables electronic conversion. I've got a spare speedo and tacho, so I'd better get them off to Speedy straight away!

Nigel

2 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Nigel

Just a thought Nigel, using a 3.27 with a 2.5l engine isn't a common configuration, as I'm sure you know it's the weakest ratio and I don't know how well it will take the extra torque. Andrew Turner is selling a 3.63 on eBay right now, it looks to be in good nick and is a good compromise ratio, I'm running one in this GT6 and I fitted one to my last Mk2 GT6 too.

30 minutes ago, iani said:

Just a thought Nigel, using a 3.27 with a 2.5l engine isn't a common configuration, as I'm sure you know it's the weakest ratio and I don't know how well it will take the extra torque. Andrew Turner is selling a 3.63 on eBay right now, it looks to be in good nick and is a good compromise ratio, I'm running one in this GT6 and I fitted one to my last Mk2 GT6 too.

Thanks for the thought. The diff itself is the weak link on the small chassis 3.27 final drive, not the crown wheel and pinion. I've (hopefully) overcome this by fitting a Blackline LSD.

The 2.5 litre engine's torque easily pulls the 3.27 final drive ratio, and I feel 3.67 is a bit too low.

Time will tell.

Nigel