Maybe, but I saw a TR5 at an auction a few years ago go for £23k (not including buyer's premium) when it was a non-runner and most of the panels were rotten and the interior was wrecked by pigeon droppings and mouse damage. But I suppose someone bought it for the VIN plate - and it was a genuine UK TR5. Who knows. 

28 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

Maybe, but I saw a TR5 at an auction a few years ago go for £23k (not including buyer's premium) when it was a non-runner and most of the panels were rotten and the interior was wrecked by pigeon droppings and mouse damage. But I suppose someone bought it for the VIN plate - and it was a genuine UK TR5. Who knows. 

Genuine TR5 trumps TR5 badged TR250 by a fair margin Im afraid. Plus the chance to properly restore yourself over a poorly restored car where your going to have to redo most also makes a lot of difference

Stuart.

43 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

I wouldn’t have bought it for the VIN. Sacrilege to break up a restorable genuine UK TR5 for that reason. There again there are a lot of idiots around in the speculation game. 

Kevin 

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

I wouldn’t have bought it for the VIN. Sacrilege to break up a restorable genuine UK TR5 for that reason. There again there are a lot of idiots around in the speculation game. 

Kevin 

It wouldnt have been broken regardless.

Stuart.

58 minutes ago, stuart said:

It wouldnt have been broken regardless.

Stuart.

Well according to the sale write up

" It was otherwise essentially identical," to a TR5, bet you could tell though Stuart.

Mick Richards

I rather doubt badging a TR250 as a TR5 enhances value. My guess is a proper bonnet stripe would have paid off better. The former is still a bargain relative to the latter ( if you can find one for sale - and let's agree that the Beverly Hills Car Club examples on ebay don't fall into the bargain category! ). 

I've seen several TR5s on Webers. A TR250 on Webers would be right on par apart from pedigree.

But the TR250 bonnet badge is bigger -_-.

Tom

I suppose the other factor is that selling a rare car in the middle of a pandemic lockdown is not very sensible. People can't travel from up and down the country to look at it because it's against the law. Also i wonder how much classic cars are affected by the banning of sales of petrol cars by 2030. I don't think that will happen but it must give people pause for thought.   

Hi Guys,

This one surprised me:

https://www.brightwells.com/lot-details/499662

You will see that it sold for £35k. It doesn’t have an overdrive and I suspect it has a non TR5 engine as the number ends in HE. 
Regards,

Denis

13 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi Guys,

This one surprised me:

https://www.brightwells.com/lot-details/499662

You will see that it sold for £35k. It doesn’t have an overdrive and I suspect it has a non TR5 engine as the number ends in HE. 
Regards,

Denis

Engine number is correct for a 5,

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. As per usual I bow to your superior knowledge! There would be the buyer’s commission to add and the car does need a fair amount of tidying up. In my view an overdrive is essential with modern motoring speeds so there would be the cost of adding that.

Regards,

Denis

3 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

Thanks Stuart. As per usual I bow to your superior knowledge! There would be the buyer’s commission to add and the car does need a fair amount of tidying up. In my view an overdrive is essential with modern motoring speeds so there would be the cost of adding that.

Regards,

Denis

Believe it or not quite a lot of 5s came out without overdrive, by that time an overdrive was quite an expensive option.

Stuart.

47 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

Regards,

Denis

Hi Dennis

There will be no buyer's fee to be added, it's something Car & Classic has devised to get round lockdown, travel restrictions and numbers of people gathering at auctions. You bid online so there is no venue or staff costs, bit like Ebay. Agree with you on the need for OD, useful. ;)

Best wishes,

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

Hi Mike,

The TR5 I mentioned that was sold by auction at Brightwells for £35k, would have been subject to a buyer’s premium of 12% + VAT. So the final price would have been just over £40k, which I suppose is probably about right.

Regards,

Denis

12 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi Mike,

The TR5 I mentioned that was sold by auction at Brightwells for £35k, would have been subject to a buyer’s premium of 12% + VAT. So the final price would have been just over £40k, which I suppose is probably about right.

Regards,

Denis

Ah ha!

The other link further down, seen it now. I'm at that funny age.

Thanks Denis. ;)

Edited by MikeThomas