Starting difficulties after the winter-or not?

Today I took the TR6 out for it’s first drive after 4 months of standing in the garage. I had charged the battery for the last time some 2 months ago and I always leave one battery pole of, so it does not discharge much. The tank was still filled with old 98 E5 fuel. My garage is kept just a couple of degrees above outside temperature. The engine needed just 3 or 4 intermitted attempts before it fired, and after a 30 mile drive she runs nice on all 6 cylinders. I was amazed, to be honest.

Do others have similar experiences?

And O what a joy to go out after such a long period!

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi Waldi

Never leave mine more than 3 weeks without starting her, always try to coincide it with a run of at least 8 miles (it as to be dry and no salt) it’s been no problem in three years

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Today I took the TR6 out for it’s first drive after 4 months of standing in the garage. I had charged the battery for the last time some 2 months ago and I always leave one battery pole of, so it does not discharge much. The tank was still filled with old 98 E5 fuel. My garage is kept just a couple of degrees above outside temperature. The engine needed just 3 or 4 intermitted attempts before it fired, and after a 30 mile drive she runs nice on all 6 cylinders. I was amazed, to be honest.

Do others have similar experiences?

And O what a joy to go out after such a long period!

Cheers,
Waldi

You was lucky remember the timeline or it may come back later 

I tend to connect to a trickle charger when the car isn't used for reasonably long journeys but as Paul I try to get out all year if the roads are salt free and it isn't pouring down. Four months without turning the key is quite a while, good to know she fired up for you even after such neglect :D

Not good.

Usually not more than a month, but it readily starts, all cylinders come in after a few moments. 

Gareth

My car requires quite a lot of cranking if parked hot and left for weeks

have always wondered if this  is made worse by the braided injector hoses, or is it more likely to be MU seals ( which are old) ?

car always starts, just takes quite a lot of cranking to work up fuel to the injectors

steve

Could be the injectors themselves, leaking into the cylinder after you've turned off, because the o rings have gone hard, and then it requires cranking to re fuel.

Gareth

18 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

My car requires quite a lot of cranking if parked hot and left for weeks

have always wondered if this  is made worse by the braided injector hoses, or is it more likely to be MU seals ( which are old) ?

car always starts, just takes quite a lot of cranking to work up fuel to the injectors

steve

Have you got Sparkrite Plug leads? If you have check that the spark plug connector(s) have not pushed up into the top of the boot leaving a gap of up to 3/4" for the spark to jump. This causes hard starting hot or cold. I have seen this problem even on new Sparkrite plug leads. I bought a set and after being told of this problem, I found that 3 of mine were faulty and had to pull the connector down to the edge of the boot.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, but i have Magnecor spark plug leads.

i do have a sparkrite lead to the coil, as the magnecor was not long enough when i relocated the coil

but the ‘problem’ predates this move and i’m pretty sure it’s fuel related as didnt change with new distributor either

steve

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Could be the injectors themselves, leaking into the cylinder after you've turned off, because the o rings have gone hard, and then it requires cranking to re fuel.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

the injectors were refurbished by Neil F back in 2013, so whilst it could be them i don’t thunk it’s likely?

steve

52 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks Gareth

the injectors were refurbished by Neil F back in 2013, so whilst it could be them i don’t thunk it’s likely?

steve

Depends what type of material they were back in 2013, I have no idea when we started to get the E5 unleaded? 

Hi Waldi. I started mine yesterday for the first time since November. Started on the 3rd crank and I drove it out onto the drive to wash the winter dust off.  I'd left the tank almost empty so took it to the filling station for a new tank full of Shell Vpower and then out for a 10 mile Italian tune. Ran very sweetly. 

I wait for 30 seconds or so for the fuel pump to change note before the first cranking. Fires in one or two rotations, then I have to catch it.

And I use Stabil in the fuel over winter.

Starting is vastly improved since I had the MU and injectors rebuilt a few years ago.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:51 PM, Peter V W said:

After the winter in the garage, under a cover. Pushed it out into the sunshine to find my side window in a 1000 pieces.

C63C9A95-6EDC-43D1-B8E1-1E2222394655.jpeg

Hi Peter,

that is a bummer. At least is easier and cheaper to repair than the front screen.

Roger

I start mine very week, I made the mistake in my first year of just parking her up and leaving her, There first start took ages and she only started on 3:o took ages for the other 3 to come in !!!!!!!DOH 

ever since she has been started weekly coinciding with a run as well 

no issues thus far , insert key , Turn over , Smile generated :wub:

Edited by Clarkey

Started mine last week after a couple of months layoff. I always remove plugs, isolate fuel pump and coil, crank the engine on the starter to get the oil pressure up before starting.

Cheers.

Mark.