Iceland geology in real time

wind has dropped to zero and we see convection in action driven by hot gas rising from the cones.  perpiheral gas and steaam pulmes all flow inwrards

image.png.cc08a0f9eeaffecee6b856a15e8ac739.png

As age encroaches the absence of bushes and trees in the Icelandic landscape becomes less of a fascination and more a concern.

As of now, 2030 on Sunday, I can see a pixelated pic that loks to be in dim daylight (this is Iceland so maybe) and a thunderous soundtrack, with lots of onlookers, but the activity is a lot less dramatic than before.     

John

the mbl webcam shows the original eruption is quieter, but both cones still flowing lava

http://k100streymi.mbl.is/spila/webcam0

But the new fissure appears to be the more active.

That river of lava is terrifying!

The lava field around the original cones looks more like a scree slope from a slate mine, than the product of a lava flow.  Jagged plates piled atop each other.

Is there a reason for that, Peter?     I'd expect it to look more like this (from Hawaii)

image.thumb.png.19d32819299bdfedbda9f88fd0968846.png

John

44 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

That river of lava is terrifying!

The lava field around the original cones looks more like a scree slope from a slate mine, than the product of a lava flow.  Jagged plates piled atop each other.

Is there a reason for that, Peter?     I'd expect it to look more like this (from Hawaii)

image.thumb.png.19d32819299bdfedbda9f88fd0968846.png

John

John, IIRC the smooth surfaced ropy stuff has cooled in situ and is called pahoehoe while the  lava that looks like a heap of coke is comprised of scoria, ejected magma that solidified in air or upon impact. Its is called aa (pronounced ah-ah after the sound made when walked upon). But I suspect there are graduations between the two.....  Peter

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Thnak you, Peter!   

Is "Albert" a nom d'Internet?      His informed discussion was most valuable.

JOhn

Hi John,  He's an enthusiastic communicator , the chief contributor to VC. In real life:

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/albert.zijlstra.html

Peter

And yet more drama. A third vent has suddenly opened on the hill between the two existing ones, and lava from it is getting awfully close to one of the cameras......

http://k100streymi.mbl.is/spila/webcam0

edit - that camera seemed to stop at about 08:19 and is just playing a recorded loop, so it has probably been eaten by the lava now.  

second edit - no, it only ate the power cable it seems.

map.thumb.jpg.a80b4cf2067e79bf5f4b677f89f5927f.jpg

Edited by RobH
On 4/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Hi John,  He's an enthusiastic communicator , the chief contributor to VC. In real life:

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/albert.zijlstra.html

Peter

Ah!  That's why I couldn't find him in the Dept. of Earth Sciences!

6 hours ago, little jim said:

Starting to wonder about that name ICEland??

The name dates back to Erik the Red, a renegade expelled from his home on the island who set up a colony to the west, which he called Greenland. To attract more settlers he toldd them to avoid "Ice"land.

The tourist office invented the term "Land of Ice and Fire", despite the fact that nothing burns much in an eruption, a bit of herbage and some gas. Likewise volcanoes dont emit smoke, its ash.

Peter

11 hours ago, RobH said:

second edit - no, it only ate the power cable it seems.

Or maybe not------

cam.jpg.d5314ada6da27e610a06e4bc03d9ba1e.jpg