Iceland geology in real time

18 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

My Icelandic friend who used to head up part of the Iceland Search and Rescue org posted this. It's an auto translate of their local safety advisory, into Polish and English.

So if you're planning to be one the "people who are going to erupt" or are going to see the "fireworks", bear in mind that "Poland will humiliate", apparently, and also beware that "The Gossip Station is destroyed at 17.00 today".

Made me chuckle anyway.

164328304_10160716178498222_3534105393930956134_o.thumb.jpg.aeec8ff372f3767226ea27571ca7c23c.jpg

And today at 5:30pm there looks to be atleast 100 onlookers,image.png.5811f1aed32df74e50183778b1c9e906.png

Good that the authorites bend with the wind and allow the curious access.

Have always been impressed with the lack of safety measures at tourist sites.

Peter

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest  Mantle?

Etna Erupts!

image.png.a89b739690ffd6950d524bcb6d990067.png

Those Sicilians are pretty cool about!

There's even a Volcanocam on the cablecar station near the summit, but there must be a large ashfall (?) as nothing is to be seen, and even kilometers away (see cams below on that page,)it's dark just now (1800).   But the noise!

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/catania/vulcano-etna-sud.html

John

Edited by john.r.davies
1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Good that the authorites bend with the wind and allow the curious access.

I see they're running buses from Reykjavik to the start of the hiking trail to the volcano, as the car park can't cope.

Pete

More than half the population of Iceland live in Reykjavik.........that's a lot of buses if they all want to visit, and who would not !

Peter

I've just noticed that the two cones have started to flare at more or less the same time now -  have their feed points become joined I wonder ?

25 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

More than half the population of Iceland live in Reykjavik.........that's a lot of buses if they all want to visit, and who would not !

Peter

The better-off ones will be taking the helicopter tours - there are six choppers flying.

Pete

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest  Mantle?

Etna Erupts!

image.png.a89b739690ffd6950d524bcb6d990067.png

Those Sicilians are pretty cool about!

There's even a Volcanocam on the cablecar station near the summit, but there must be a large ashfall (?) as nothing is to be seen, and even kilometers away (see cams below on that page,)it's dark just now (1800).   But the noise!

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/catania/vulcano-etna-sud.html

John

Etna certainly is an impressive volcano, even just for its sheer scale (basal circumference 140km according to Wikipedia). I've been almost to the crater rim, with Italian Protezione Civile people to hold my hand, and I was secretly slightly relieved when the time came to head back down.

Nigel

2 hours ago, stillp said:

There seem to be a lot of people there now - at https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2021/03/23/beint_eldgosid_i_fagradalsfjalli/ I assume the white lights on the LH side are people's phone cameras?

Pete

Last night there were two vehicles up there - saw headlamp beams briefly. They must have been official as off--roading is strictly verboten. Peter

2 hours ago, RobH said:

I've just noticed that the two cones have started to flare at more or less the same time now -  have their feed points become joined I wonder ?

Yes they look sync'd. Compared with last night the vents are now similar in height and area. i wonder how that happens, why didn't the larger vent steal the flow ?

Icelanders learn about volcanoes etc from kindergaten onwards. When an accessible eruption comes along thay all want to exeperiience it:

from VolcanoCafe

image.png.7993267c17ec4c8dd243d92d368241aa.png

Iceland doesn't have an army Pete.  Those must be the provisional wing of the traffic wardens :ph34r:

Wiki:

Iceland: Has not had a standing army since 1869, but is an active member of NATO. 

3 minutes ago, RobH said:

Iceland doesn't have an army Pete.  Those must be the provisional wing of the traffic wardens :ph34r:

Wiki:

Iceland: Has not had a standing army since 1869, but is an active member of NATO. 

Ah yes, thanks Rob; "Norwegian soldiers from the airspace guard at Keflavík Airport had been inspecting the eruption sites and of course got into the same knot as others when their buses were trying to get on."

Pete

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

The "SpaceWeather" site is reporting "Auroras over Geldingadalur"

image.thumb.png.75f04a3c8cd878b4c7893fbcb5cf90e3.png

Surely, a mere coincidence?

John

Tks John, beutiful !

yes, coincidence.  Peter

Extraordinary footage from a photographer who flew a drone through the plume of erupting magma at the biggest crater at Geldingadur:

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2021/03/22/fiery_eyes_of_fagradalsfjall_craters_video/

It also shows that there is a fissure, with several other, smaller craters erupting magma at the same time.

Peter, what's the expected result of this?   Another mountainous volcano on Iceland to rival Öræfajökull, or a vast lava flow, covering square miles?

JOhn

John, see the last section, "the future"   https://www.volcanocafe.org/the-reykjanes-fires/

the deep origin of the magma from the mantle 14-17km deep is unusual. There is no magma chmaber in the crust to empty so it might erupt for months, or years and forma shield volcano. But  at a mere 6 m^3 per second it;s not going tobe too big.

They had 10,000 visitors yesterday and a 5km long carpark. When the pandemic abates I see them making a tourist attraction, its only 10miles roughly from the Blue lagoon adn 25 form the airport, perfect for translatlantic flight stopovers. 

In 10 days at current rate the lava should over-top the valley, to the NW ( left field of view fo the ruv camera), but nothing is under threat from that.

Peter

3 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Thank you, Peter!  Dramatic stuff!

John

unfortunately its buggy, maybe the gas cloud affects the wireless signal ? or it objects to being bathed in sulphuric acid when it rains.